Talking?

iVillage Member
Talking?
Sun, 09-11-2011 - 11:09pm

How's your jitterbug doing with talking? Ean is far behind where Daley was at this point. He isn't saying much at all that I can be sure what it is other than he said "Dah" for the dogs, "Da" for his brother Daley, "Mama" and "uh oh". He has few words and mostly just likes to babble incoherently lol Daley was saying many words by this age so I just find it a bit disconcerting. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that he is a passy addict and Daley never had one. How're your babies doing with chatter? :)

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
In reply to: julestar3147
Mon, 09-12-2011 - 11:19am
Our ped told us it's very normal for them to be developing one set of skills before the other. If they are ahead in gross motor than they are likely behind in verbal and/or fine motor. Seems logical.

Kylie didn't start walking until about 4 weeks agao so she is behind the average on gross motor. But she says about 20 words. Not the full word mind you, but the first and sometimes second sylable. We can understand her and about 8 words others can understand.

I would try not to worry...I'm sure you're little JB is doing great and will be chattering away in no time =)
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-12-2011 - 11:30am
Ean is still perfecting the walking too. He has just started to take steps between things--still won't between people. He has great balance and coordination but doesn't think he can do it without something to hold on to. The only reason I even mention it is because DS 1 was a very early, bright talker. He went right to words and was speaking sentences by 18 months. He was also very clear. However, the nurse practitioner Ean saw at his last appt mentioned when I had to fill out the bubble questionnaire that according to the computer's interpretation of the bubble chart he should have been doing a bit more talking (eye roll).

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 1:33pm
It sounds like your first DS was really early in verbal and your JB is a little (tiny bit) late. Isn't it amazing how different kids with the same exact genes combining can be?
iVillage Member
Tue, 09-13-2011 - 1:42pm
Yes it is! It is part of what makes having children so amazing. I am constantly amazed at how different Ean and Daley look as well. You would never know they're brothers.

Photobucket<

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-17-2011 - 5:09pm
It's hard - I know exactly how you feel. I have 2 boys as well and my older boy was really fast in everything. He's driven...and it shows in his development. At 3, he can count to 100 and is starting to read already. But that's his personality...he's going to be a difficult boy bc he wants to be perfect and wants to do everything. While little Evvie is willing to just sit back and watch. He also is afraid to try anything dangerous. So he isn't even walking yet - even tho he can stand w/o holding on. He does like to play my piano tho and sings in the car, LOL.

Maybe Ean is just going to be quiet. It might just be his personality not to be a chatterbox. You never know what's going on behind those eyes :)

Hugs,

Dee
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-18-2011 - 8:22pm

Carter doesn't say words yet either... he can say "dicka" (tickle) "ducka" (duck) "dugdug" (dogdog) "mama" & "dada"... but that is the extent of it. He "talks" CONSTANTLY tho & he understands everything. His ped isn't worried about it & says as long as he hears you & understands you, there is nothing to worry about.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-27-2011 - 9:09am
I thought the same things when DS wasn't as talkative as his big sister. Our ped said that it doesn't matter whether or not you can understand their "words" or even if they are using the right "words" as long as they consistently make the same sound for the same object or event, that counts. They were looking for 3 "words" by 15 months. It is also (supposedly) very common for first borns to be more advanced than successive children. My oldest was speaking in sentences at this point, whereas DS only said a handful of words, as does Caitlyn. She also generalizes things (which I'm guessing is normal), for example, any type of fruit is an apple ("bapple") and any type of furry animal is a meow ("eeeYOW!"). There are still a lot of JBs who only say one or two things, and a few that aren't even speaking yet.
Photobucket