30 Weeks and on Bedrest:(

iVillage Member
30 Weeks and on Bedrest:(
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 9:17pm

I can't believe this...I am so upset: ( I went in this morning for my routine 30 week appointment...no big deal I thought. Yeah, until I got put on bedrest that is! I tested positive for pre-term labor and my cervix is softer than the Doctor would like. And now, I'm on bedrest until 32 weeks at least. At 32 weeks they will test me again and if it comes back negative I can go off of bedrest. Has anyone else ever been in this situation? Did your test come back positive and then ever go to negative? I am just really upset and out of my mind about the whole thing. I have 2

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 10:48pm

I'm on bedrest now too. I am hoping to convince my doctor to let me off on the 13th. This is my second time on it and it sucks. Find books or movies.

Just out of curiousity, did your doctor do the ffn test before or after checking your cervix? It has a very high rate of false positives but isn't valid at all if anything has been inserted in your vagina within the last 24 hours.

~~Torri, Xander 10/20/05, Sebastian 10/07/09 and Baby Surprise coming August 2011

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 9:51am
So sorry! I was put on bedrest a couple times in my first pregnancy - pretty much always unnecessarily imo (it was always in response to bleeding in early and even mid-pregnancy - and studies are pretty clear that you can't prevent a miscarriage at that point). They tried to put my on bed rest around 34-35 weeks due to a day of contractions - couldn't do the FNN test because of intimacy w/ DH - so they sent me for a sonogram, which showed things looked ok. I refused the bedrest, explaining that I'd be working in a hospital for the next 2 weeks doing focus groups - so if anything happened, I wouldn't have far to go. Baby was born at 39 weeks.

In my 2nd pregnancy I was put on modified bedrest at the very near end - feet up for 3 hours every afternoon. This was doable - my oldest DD and I watched movies and napped everyday. I'm pretty active so not getting to work on things was frustrating, but the rest was great. Baby #2 also born at 39 weeks.

If they're concerned, I'd take it easy for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. Do you have a history of pre-term labor / delivery? I have no idea if your cervix is soft if you can expect that condition to reverse itself - I wouldn't expect so. No sure where you live, but can DH set up an outside lounge chair for you to lay on so that you can lay and let the little ones play in the water sprinkler (it's been about 100 degrees here all this week so water play is a great idea).

Inside you can watch movies with the littles and maybe even play a board game or two in bed. And if at all possible, see if you can find a friend or family member to take the other littles for a day or two or at least a few hours each day so they can go be really active and you can get rest.

Sorry you've experienced this turn of events ... I'm sure it's frightening and frustrating.
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 9:56am
Real quick question - did your doctor do a pelvic at 30 weeks? And were you experiencing contractions that led him to check your cervix? Or was there another reason for doing the FNN test?

I ask only because my midwives won't do an internal exam at all in pregnancy after the first appt. Even my OB who I saw w/ my first daughter didn't do one until 37-38 weeks.

If you weren't experiencing the feeling of pre-term labor, I'm just wondering if you really need to be worried, kwim?

I'd guess my cervix is changing - I have a lot of ctrx and baby is definitely low and I'm experiencing things I didn't experience until later in previous pregnancies. But I don't have a history of pre-term labor ... which isn't a guarantee or anything. But no one has been terribly concerned (including me).

Just curious what prompted the internal exam and FNN test.
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 12:36pm

The Doctor asked me about contractions and I told him that yes, I do have them quite often! He decided to do the FNN test and did the internal after the test. DH and I have not been intimate in a week or so, so that was not a big deal. I got put on bedrest at 34 weeks with my son because I was having tons of contractions and tested positive for preterm labor as well...but never went into labor even after they took me off bedrest at 36 weeks : ) Of course!

I know that this little one can't be born this early, so I understand the precautions. My Dr. also seems to be more on the conservative side of things...not wanted to risk anything. I definately have lots of contractions most days...probably between 10-20 a day. This morning I've already had 4 or 5. And I know that anything over about 12 a day they start to get nervous. But do I think I would actually go into pre-term labor...no I don't really. But with my little girls kidney problems I know she needs to stay inside me for as long as possible if you know what I mean...I guess it's really not worth risking her being born right now.

My DH is awesome and just finished up our beautiful new deck! We have a 6 foot privacy fence that encloses our whole backyard and a nice playground area for the kids. So yes I can just sit there while they play and that gives them something fun to do. Yesterday afternoon I sat on a towel in the driveway while they splashed around in the little wading pool that we have: ) They also both lay down from noon until between 2 and 2:30 so I have a nice couple hours in the afternoon where I don't have to do anything with them.

What do you think though...does this sound like a reasonable explanation for bed rest? Would you follow Dr's orders?

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 7:04pm
I would probably follow doctor's orders - especially since it sounds like you can still "have fun" with your kids while taking it easy. The fact that you've experienced pre-term labor previously is a red flag by itself. Most children born at 31 weeks are fine ... but certainly no need to take chances - and if you can avoid NICU all the better. And with the special considerations of your little one's kidneys, I'd definitely play it safe.

Hang in there!
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-04-2011 - 8:42pm

Thank you...I really had a hard time with it at first, but putting my little one's health in my mind first makes it much easier to stay put! And since it's the weekend DH is home and doing a good job of taking care of everyone! I honestly think it would be much harder to be on bedrest during the winter...at least this way I can sit outside and enjoy some vitamin D: ) : )

BabyFetus Ticker