Anyone Trying for a VBAC??

iVillage Member
Anyone Trying for a VBAC??
Sun, 04-03-2011 - 12:41am

I was just wondering if any of you ladies are trying for or have successfully done a VBAC? I'm crossing my fingers and toes that this time around I get to have my little one naturally. I thought it might be nice to get together and share advice/tips/support. It can definitely be a challenging time and stressful wondering if it'll all work out. I don't know anyone personally that has even had to attempt a VBAC, let alone done one. So I would love it if we could all chime in. :smileyhappy:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-03-2011 - 8:31am

I'm going for it if everything falls into place.

baby
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-03-2011 - 9:34am
We're going for a VBAC here. I'd like to do it naturally, but it push comes to shove (lol sorry for the pun) I'll take an epidural so long as it's not leading me towards a section. The first thing DH and I did when we decided to go VBAc is switch from our last OB to a midwifery center. I felt that our last birth experience went awry because we didn't have someone to assist us in making decision that would have kept us heading towards a natural birth. For instance, the morning of my induction I had started contracting, but still went to the hospital. No one there advised us that we could just skip the induction and labor at home more. When the induction wasn't helping speed things up, but I was still contracting on my own regularly when the Pitocin was turned off, no one said we could just stop the induction and labor unmedicated. No one encouraged us to be a bit more patient, that our baby would be here in 24 hours and we could still make it to a vaginal birth. Also, at our first OB appointment with this pregnancy, the OB we met with told us I had a 10% change of a VBAC and too small hips/too big babies; all without doing a pelvic exam or reviewing my past surgery notes.

We are extremely happy with our midwifery group. Every one is very supportive, but honest about the dangers that could occur. They have homeopathic and other ways to help me start labor and get my cervix ready. They are prepared to let me labor on my own time. The will let me go to 42 weeks before insisting on a section, so long as everyone's health is safe. They have told me things that will help me get to a VBAC. For instance they recommended taking the hypnobirthing class because it helps a lot with relaxation and staying focused during labor.

Anything else your doctors tell you are good I'd love to hear. I was really upset to have a c-section last time because it was not necessary.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-03-2011 - 8:32pm

Yeah, I'm hoping to go natural the entire time but if it becomes to much to handle I'll definitely get the epidural. I'm not sure what to expect so I'm just going to go in there with the mindset to take it one step at a time as long as everything goes well! I have a great set of doctors that completely support my VBAC decision and are going to monitor me to make sure its possible. My DD was breech so thats the only reason I needed one before, hopefully this little one goes head down and stays that way.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-03-2011 - 9:29pm
I definitely am doing everything all natural. I did it the first time.. and as long as I am able to do it naturally then I def will without epidural.