Baby REFUSES to be put down!

iVillage Member
Baby REFUSES to be put down!
Mon, 01-09-2012 - 8:14pm

So Carlee has always been pretty high maintenance. She loves being entertained 24/7 and for a while it wasn't an issue. But the past couple of months its been getting ridiculous. She WILL NOT allow anyone to put her down. I have tried everything and anything. I've put her in her crib, on a blanket on the floor, her swing, her bouncer, the bumbo, EVERYTHINGGG. She cries almost immedietely and I mean screams bloody

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-09-2012 - 9:29pm
If you don't have one, get a sling. Some babies are very high needs -- as you can now attest. My 2nd was very much like that for several months, and I DID EVERYTHING with her in a sling. When you have other kids and house responsibilities (which I say let go to an extent when you have a baby that needs you so much - but sometimes you just have to do laundry / dishes / etc.), you have to do something.

I'm not an advocate of CIO at all. Which is not to say that none of my kids have ever had to sit and cry. But it wasn't because I was making a choice to let them cry. It was usually because I was in the bathroom or shower and couldn't get there for a few minutes. There was a reason I couldn't go to them.

I did try CIO with my oldest, and she cried herself silly (in a very short period of time) to the point of vomiting. She's now 7 and to this day she throws up if she gets really upset. CIO was clearly not an option for her. And what I've come to understand is that it is successful for those babies who have the temperament to accept it. I really think it has more to do with the baby than the parent. But there are babies who simply shouldn't be left to CIO. And since I managed to make it through infancy with baby #1 without CIO (except our lone attempt), I realized that I could get through babyhood w/o resorting to it. And now I'm on baby #3, and I simply don't advocate it for anyone but don't judge those who want to try it ... some babies do accept it pretty easily. So it might work. But it's not the only option. Obviously only you can decide if it's something you want to try.

But I can tell you that you'll be surprised what you can do with a good fitting sling. Baby is happy. Mommy is more happy than she'd be with a crying baby.

And fwiw, my very high needs 2nd baby that lived in the sling for months became an amazing baby at about 9-10 months. There were times she still intensely needed me, but she actually would sit and play with toys for an hour at a time. My oldest NEVER, EVER did this until she was able to read. So carrying her in the sling doesn't guarantee a long-term problem. Instead it gives her the comfort she needs now and the confidence and security to grow until she will one day be ok to be alone for periods of time.

HTH. Hang in there. I've been there, and I do know it's tough.
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 12:00am

my 5 month old is only like that when she's tired, hungry or just doesn't feel well. i've noticed the neediess more at those times. it's like i always know if she's going to cry before i even put her down based on her "mood."

i like the sling idea. thankfully my baby is pretty independent unless the things i mentioned above. i wouldn't worry too much about the near future. one day at a time. she may have just really developed a great attachment to you and that's a good thing. try talking loudly to her as you move away from her. she'll eventually know that your'e nearby because she can hear you. it works for me. i go in and out of the room alot when she's in her bouncer or swing. she can see me come and go and seems to be ok with it.

good luck. let us know how you're making out....

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 4:27am

oh my , we went through that for a couple months. My husband and I were literally exhausted by the end of the day... taking turns holding her the ENTIRE day and night. I could not do ANYTHING!

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&