Baby wearing?

iVillage Member
Baby wearing?
Sun, 05-15-2011 - 6:33pm
Hey ladies,
Just curious if anyone had any advice/experience with wraps or slings? I'm looking to get one that I can breastfeed in without needing an additional coverup while in public. I found that they come in different sizes and I'm 5'2 and normally weigh between 110-120lbs (so a small shirt size) any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)
Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-15-2011 - 7:53pm
For nursing I like a traditional ring sling ... they're very adjustable size wise and the "tail" makes great cover for nursing if you feel you need a little extra modesty. I personally like the ease of a pouch sling ... they come sized, and at 5 feet, 100-105 lbs, I find a small / xsmall to be best for me. If you custom order your pouch sling - I ordered mine from happyslings.com, she'll show you how to measure yourself for her slings and select the proper size. I know I ordered a small initially b/c I was afraid an xsmall would be too small, and then I sent it back to her and had her resize it for me.

This time around, I'll use my pouch sling, but I'm thinking of getting a moby wrap too. I'm pretty sure they're one size fits all (just a long piece of fabric). I know some people can nurse in these, but I'm not sure how they do it ... I just think they look good for small babies that you might be carrying for long periods of time.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 3:48am
I cannot recommend the carrier called Baby K'tan enough. You can search their website online. It was the seriously the most amazing baby product I'd ever bought over the coarse of 4 kids. (no i don't work for them :) good luck ! btw, I am your size, and it works great on me.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 9:02am

Hi there!

iVillage recently reviewed the best baby carriers of 2011.

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 12:39pm
I was never able to nurse DD while wearing her... I think because she preferred to be more lying down and in carriers they have to be more upright. But I've been doing a lot of research on this and have come up with the following four carriers that work for the majority of people :)
1. Ring sling (pros: provides the coverup you're looking for, fits easy in diaperbag, beautiful materials; cons: you have to keep one hand on the baby if you're on the move). Maya Wrap Ring Slings have the best reviews for the $$. Easy to find used on e-bay :)
2. Mai Tai (pros: offers more support for heavier babes, awesome patterns that reverse to accomodate the hubby; cons: bulkier to carry in diaper bag). I love my Baby Hawk, although if I had to buy one now I would get the Toddler Hawk or Oh Snap Toddler Hawk for the higher weight limit.
3. Moby Wrap (pros: die hard fans love this thing- I've never tried; cons: bulky, hot, not easy to put on in a hurry, not as cute as the above two carriers).
4. Baby K'tan (pros: like a moby but easy to put on; cons: harder to fit in diaperbag, not as cute as the first two).

Hope my research can help someone else! I feel like all I do is store up baby gear knowledge in my brain and it's bursting to get out, lol :)
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 2:17pm
Why do you feel you need to keep one hand on the baby in a ring sling when on the move? If it's made properly, the fabric doesn't slip at all. I've never experienced this nor felt this need. Just curious ...

I love my traditional slings because they are so portable (easy to put in diaper bag as you say). I've never owned a Moby (and the ones at Babies R Us / Target ARE rather boring), but I have several friends that own lightweight beautiful cotton prints ... and as you say, they love them and are "die hard fans".

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 2:32pm
Sorry, I should clarify- only while nursing on the move. Not just moving :) And you could totally be right :) I don't know this from personal experience, only what reviews from other people have said. I was never able to nurse in any carrier, but I would really like to this time so I've been trying to figure this out for months. I think I would like the ring sling best, but I already have a Babyhawk so I'll try that first and if it doesn't work then I'll get a ring sling (If DH doesn't kill me for buying another carrier, lol) It's the general feel I get from reading reviews and talking to other people. I read reviews from amazon.com, thebabywearer.com, and mothering.com... just about any where I can find them
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 4:30pm
I thoroughly enjoyed my ring sling for my last baby, but didn't start using it till baby was 3 months or so when I got it. I just bought a used Moby Wrap to try out for this baby, especially in the infant size. I will keep both handy. When they get older the ring sling makes it possible to hip carry with ease. I also love the Ergo carrier for back carrying when they are older too. Also got that when last one was older, so don't have an opinion on front wearing when smaller
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-16-2011 - 9:09pm

The Moby wrap is great for newborns; my DD refused to nurse in it, but she was picky. It is heavy, and I am concerned about using it in the summer weather. But it will be great for fall! I am 4 foot 11 inches and I find that there is too much material left over...but the fabric is jersey, and I think you can cut it down without it fraying.

I also have a sling pouch thingy from sevenslings.com. I didn't get it until my DD was 14lbs, and it hurt my shoulder. I think it will be ok for a lighter baby, though.

I plan on buying a Maya sling; lighter material than the Moby and the shoulder is padded!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers