Birthing Classes

iVillage Member
Birthing Classes
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 4:27pm

I couldn't find any birthing classes in my area. I mostly just wanted to meet other pregnant women. I'll probablly have a c-section but is anyone else taking one or having one?

My sweet baby boys Josh and Jesse were born into the arms of Jesus on January 11th 2008. They will always be missed and remain living in my heart forever!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 10:33pm
We're signed up for some through the hospital we're delivering at but they don't start until June.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 10:35pm

No, I didn't take one last time or this time. I did meet with a childbirth instructor last time, but it was just us, and we just talked about natural childbirth. I am definitely glad I met with her; she was really helpful and informative. Group birth classes always remind me of the movies where women are always lying all over the floor groaning. :smileyhappy:

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 10:47am
I didn't take any classes before having my son. I didn't want to have to "unlearn" anything. I don't really feel like I needed any classes. I have a huge family full of women who have given birth naturally and breastfed, so I knew I would have all the help that I needed. I am, however, taking classes this time. They're Lamaze classes offered by my midwife, and I won a coupon to take them for free. My sister is in the process of becoming DONA certified as a doula, and classes are required for her, so she'll be my labor companion. She's going to be my doula, too. The classes are on April 9 and 10. I was talking to my midwife about these classes, and I said something about "all that hee hee hooing," and she was really irritated. She said that's a commen misconception about Lamaze. Breathing techniques are only a small part of the classes. I'm really interested to find out more.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 10:50am
I just signed up for a hypnobirthing class at our hospital since my midwife suggested it as a help for relaxing during labor. We're trying for a VBAC. Also, DH isn't going to make the class since he's going to babysit DD for me, so my friend is going with me. She's due in July. We're just splitting the cost. We're going to look like the pregnant lesbian couple. lol
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 11:08am

We took a one day class last time at the hospital, but it was basically just 4 hours of them saying, "Just let us make all the decisions for you, we know what's best."

baby
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 3:23pm
Thatmoxiegirl too funny!! I.wish I had the money to take that or a Bradley class, but I guess since I did no meds last time I will be able to use my same techniques.

We did take a class and the Nurse would keep looking at me or asking me if that was correct. I think because I made sure I educated myself as soon as I knew I was pregnant and tried to gain as much knowledge as I could. I think it was helpful for my DH as he did not do research and really didn't know much. But let me tell you, he was great and a huge help when I delivered.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 6:17pm
I took a class last time at the hospital i was delivering at. It was very helpful, and not alot of hee hoo-ing :-) they really taught relaxation techniques and gave a better understanding of what was going to happen.
Try looking at local doctors offices or a ymca.
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 11:08pm
When I think Lamaze, I think "hee hee hoo," too. I think movies and TV have poisoned my mind in some scenarios...
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 11:12pm
We are doing Bradley classes. I'm excited because I've heard so many good things about the method. I'd really want to have a natural birth & I think the classes will help. I think they start in the end of May & go until sometime in July.