BTDT C-Section moms

iVillage Member
BTDT C-Section moms
Thu, 04-14-2011 - 9:27am

I might be having a c-section Does it hurt? What are the restrictions after surgery? How long does it take to recover?

My sweet baby boys Josh and Jesse were born into the arms of Jesus on January 11th 2008. They will always be missed and remain living in my heart forever!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-14-2011 - 9:59am

The actual surgery doesn't hurt, but be prepared to be more numb than you expect.

baby
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-14-2011 - 10:51am
My c-section itself didn't hurt at all. I didn't feel a thing except for bit of pressure when they took DD from me, but they also spoke to me and told me exactly what to expect and when.

After the anesthesia work off, the incision site did hurt, but they also gave me medication for that, which kept it mostly under control. It's difficult to say how long it takes to recover because a) I've never recovered from a natural birth to compare it too and b) I was so delerious with lack of sleep and Christmas and trying to figure everything out about having a new baby, that healing from surgery was not exactly my priority #1. So I guess you could say that it wasn't much effort to recover.

I was restricted from driving for a few weeks and was not supposed to life heavy things or do anything super strenuous. I was pissed not to be able to drive and felt absolutely fine to be doing so, but my MIL is a L&D nurse and was the more stubborn of the two of us and took my keys away. The concern is that if you are in an accident while driving after a section that the impact from the steering wheel can tear things back open and be really not good.

Other than those things, I didn't have anything else special to do to recover. but like I said, I haven't experienced a vaginal birth. I'm going to try for a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section) this time.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-14-2011 - 8:18pm
The first day i didn't feel anything, the next couple days int he hospital was a bit painful but not unbearable. The day I got out ( was in for 4 days) of the hospital we went to the store and i just had to walk a bit slower. I felt great after about a week and a half. Definitly was not as bad as i feared, plus you get an amazing gift in the deal :) .

Marsha 

mommy to Rylee Elizabeth 4/12/2005 

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-14-2011 - 8:24pm

I didn't feel anything when I had a c-section.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-15-2011 - 4:30pm

I always laugh at the hype over how bad C-sections are but I guess my situation was unique.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-15-2011 - 10:59pm

I have to say, I had a wonderful experience with my c-section.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-18-2011 - 10:23am

I know everyone is different and tolerate pain differently...but mine was great and I am scheduling for a c this time around as well.

I was induced due to my bp.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-19-2011 - 5:00am
my c/s was great. no pain during the delivery itself. i was wicked bloated though 'cuz i had 7 bags of fluid during the 17 hours i was in labor before hand...that was annoying, but what can ya do?

best piece of advice i got after: don't drink out of straws (causes extra gas) and get up and walk asap! get that cath out as soon as you think you can and get on your feet. because of those 2 things my recovery was a breeze. i was sore the first day or so, and sleeping on my back again was a new experience. but i wouldn't trade it for the world. doing it again this time too.
 BabyFetus Ticker