BTDT: Induced before 40 w ?

iVillage Member
BTDT: Induced before 40 w ?
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 2:33pm

Ok mommas, if you were induced before 40 weeks (for any reason) I was wondering the following:

~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 2:41pm

1. Induced ~ Vaginal Delivery

2. Medical ~ Low amniotic fluid

3. Pain Medication ~ Only thing I had was an epidural less than an hour before DS was born : )

4. Yes, I breastfed him very shortly after he was born & before he left the room.

5. I nursed him for 14 months with absolutely NO supplementing!

6. He spent no time in the NICU or anything...came home when I did: )

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 6:01pm
1. Were you induced for a c-section or vaginal? Vaginal

2. For medical (ex. high blood pressure) or non-medical (ex. thought baby might be big) reasons? Medical...in fact it was high blood pressure.

3. What did you use for pain relief (if any)? I got an epidural

4. Did you establish breastfeeding in the first hour? Why/why not? Yes! I let them wipe him off and do his measurements/apgars and I nursed him as soon as they gave him back. It was less than 30 minutes after birth.

5. Were you able to successfully breastfeed with no formula supplementation the first few months? Yes. My son has never had formula, despite them pushing it on us for jaundice.

6. DId baby have to spend any time in NICU or special care nursery? Nope. With his mommy the entire time.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 9:16pm
I just wanted to pipe in, not because I was induced before 40 weeks, but because you seem to have some concerns regarding breast feeding. I was induced at 41 and 1, and ended up having an epidural and a c/section. Because of a poor reaction to the anesthesia, it was close to an hour before I held DD in the recovery room and didn't breast feed her until we were transfered to our room, maybe an hour later. I still was able to successfully breast feed her, exclusively for 12 months. So even if things don't go they way they're "supposed to" breast feeding doesn't have to be a loss.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-28-2011 - 11:40pm

I will give you answers for both kiddos.

~~Torri, Xander 10/20/05, Sebastian 10/07/09 and Baby Surprise coming August 2011

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 8:56am
Yeah, I was induced with DD at 40w2d and had no problems with BFing and I was not worried... I don't know why I'm so worried this time except that the OBs keep trying to push me for early induction at 37-38 weeks and it freaks me out. I just feel like it wouldn't be safe and I can't shake the feeling. My diabetes is well-controlled and baby is measuring right on, so there is no medical reason to induce before 40 weeks. I'm really hoping to make it to my due date before I'm induced but it is wearing me out to keep fighting all the OBs every week... Thanks to everyone for your replies!
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 11:38am
I can't help but agree with you. If your baby is safe and you are healthy, why induce? I'd keep fighting them on it. It's worth it. It's in your little one's best interest, IMHO.
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 2:03pm
I'd stick to your guns ... even the ACOG is very against inductions prior to 39 weeks unless for a medical emergency (such as Pre-E). If you're having a c-section anyway (not trying for a VBAC), I don't consider the size of the baby too big an issue, anyway (particularly when you're diabetes is well controlled and baby is measuring ok).

I have an acquaintance for whom they estimated baby would be nearly 10 lbs and really, really pushed her for an induction / scheduled c-section just because baby was supposed to be big. She had planned a natural birth so was not very receptive. In the end, labor was long and she did get an epidural around 8 cm ... but she had a nearly 10 lb baby vaginally w/o any problems (I honestly don't think she even needed any stitches).

I'm a pretty firm believer (gestational diabetes being a special circumstance) that if we were allowed to labor in a more natural way, we'd find that very few women grow babies their bodies can't deliver.

At any rate, if you're planning a c-section anyway, I'd personally be hesitant to do one before 39 weeks. And quite frankly most doctors won't schedule one before 39 weeks anymore either. There's a BIG difference in fetal mortality / moribidity for babies born via c-section prior to 39 weeks vs those born at 39 + weeks.

Good luck!
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 4:33pm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 4:35pm
I don't understand why they want to induce you so early...my DS was born at 38 weeks, and this baby is much bigger and my OB won't do a c-section before 39 weeks.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 6:51pm
Thanks for the confirmation :) I have told them about my concerns and ACOG recs, but I don't know what their deal is with wanting to induce so early... I'm a military wife, so I see 5 OBs in the group and don't get to pick and all of them except one has just blew me off... I guess I'm worried because I do not trust them at all. I had a civilian OB & hospital for DD with a much more trusting relationship. Guess I learned my lesson!
~Andrea~ IMG_1563