Do you have a plan for older children for D-Day yet?

iVillage Member
Do you have a plan for older children for D-Day yet?
Sat, 05-14-2011 - 9:17am

I am having a really hard time with this....

Of the 3 or 4 possible scenarios, only 2 of them have definitive game plans.

iVillage Member

I don't know for sure because there's no way to know what's gonna happen.

baby
iVillage Member
I think if I have an induction, I'll take him to my mom's. She has a crib and we sleep there at least once every 2 weeks, so it's not new to him. If there is no induction and I go into labor in the middle of the night I might have her come over (she lives 20 min away) and stay with him. He won't even be 2 yet...I don't think it's right to wake him up in the middle of the night and throw off his schedule so much. He's going to have enough to deal with when we bring the baby home! If my mom doesn't come over, I know MIL would be thrilled to. She also lives 20 min away...only problem is she has no car seat and I'm not sure I'd trust her to install his correctly!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Great question. My only plan is to drop ds off at my moms. She said the week im due, she wants him to sleep over every night just in case its a middle of the night thing. If something happens earlier, my mom does not sleep very much at night (her and ds always take good naps) so dropping him off in the middle of the night wouldnt be terrible, and ds goes to bed super late anyways so hes not foreign to waking up. Just hoping everything works out and he doesnt have to come to the hospital with us.
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
iVillage Member

This is freaking me out. Emily will be 13 months old and the only family I have in town is my brother, who I don't speak to unless we are at Thanksgiving or some family event. He has 3 kids and his house is anything but baby friendy. They have a crazy dog and so many toys and crap anymore I'd be having a panic attack that Emily would choke to death over there! My parents are in NYC and can get here within 4 hours and will be here a week before my due date but

Photobucket
iVillage Member
My husband's parents are fairly close to us, and my brother is 40 minutes away. So one or the other will be available to help with my 2 daughters. When DD#2 was born (she was born in the middle of the night and labor started around 11:30 p.m.), we woke her and took her to the hospital with us ... my mother-in-law came with us in the car and everyone else met us at the hospital. My DD could most certainly have slept in the waiting room (plenty of space), but she refused. She stayed awake until she heard the baby cry at 4:30 a.m. To this day, I just think it's so sweet! So she slept at the hospital a couple of hours then my parents (who are 2 hours away but had finally made it to the hospital) took her home and put her in bed. After everyone got some sleep they all came back the next afternoon.

To me it's not a big deal. Any of the scenarios you mentioned will be fine. There's very little need - in fact it's better if you wait - to go to the hospital as soon as labor begins (my hospital won't even admit you until you are more than 4 cm dilated). So your family should have plenty of time to get there to your house if you prefer that scenario. But you can also just take your DS with you to the hospital and have them meet you there. It worked really well for us.

If I go into labor during the day (instead of night), I could see dropping my DDs off with my in-laws for a couple of hours and then having them join us at the hospital a bit later. But I highly suspect they'll pack their own bags with activities and will just come to the hospital when we do (along with other family members who will watch them while I labor of course).

To be honest, I'll probably just ask them what they want to do (they're 3 and 6 btw).
iVillage Member
I have a no visitors rule during labor too -- not even my mom. Just DH and me. But I don't mind having visitors once the baby is born. I usually take about 30-40 minutes to post birth before I allow visitors. It's worked really well for us both times.