Does Popularity Affect Your Name Decision?

iVillage Member
Does Popularity Affect Your Name Decision?
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 6:04pm

A little background...

DH and I found out last week that this little one is a little girl! So the name choosing has begun:)

We picked DD's name (Cadence Lea) when I was 6 weeks along. Then, during that pregnancy we also picked DS's name (Evan Tyler) in case DD was a boy. Then during our pregnancy with DS we still had Evan picked out but picked out Chloe Gail if it was a girl. Now that we know this LO is a girl DH is stuck on Chloe. So here is my silly question/dilema: I absolutely LOVE the name Chloe especially with her middle name being Gail...I think it fits nicely with our other children's names and it's just a pretty name. BUT...I also feel like it is SO popular and for some reason that bugs me a little. DH doesn't feel the same way. He thinks that if you like a name then it shouldn't matter at all what other people think/or the popularity/or so on. What do you think? Would you name your child a name even though you knew it was popular? Would that affect your decision at all? Or would you be more carefree like my DH? I don't know why this is bothering me so much...must be some hormones:):)

BabyFetus Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 6:27pm
My DS is Jordan and I loved that name. I have no doubt there will be many children in his classes, both boys and girls named Jordan. But I'm ok with that because he is my Jordan. I agree with your DH of you love it, then it should not matter.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 6:34pm
I have a son named Jack...so obviously it didn't affect my decision! If you absolutely LOVE a name, it shouldn't matter. If you're already iffy in the first place, then popularity is a good reason to move on to another name, IMO.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 7:20pm

I don't even consider super popular names, but if I was in love with a name and it gained a lot of popularity before I got to use it, I don't know what I would do.

baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 8:12pm

popularity does affect my decision making. i won't even consider anything on the social security top 100. like i love the name lily but won't use it since it's become so possible.

number 5 on this funny video pretty well explains my reasoning...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/9G4V-N6EEvY

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 8:43pm

DH and I had picked Sofia when I was pregnant with DS.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 9:11pm
Yes, if it's in the top 10, it's out. I loved that Katie was not even in the top 100 and our possible girl name for this LO is Molly, also not in the top 100.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 10:24pm

My sons name is Jack which is pretty popular but we named him after my DH's grandfather who he adored. So i'm not to concerned with popularity

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 10:51pm

I personally wouldn't choose a name that was in the top 10, or even the top 20 most popular names in the U.S.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 12:49am

Thanks Ladies:)

I was surprised at the differences in opinions on this one. I've done a little research and even though Chloe is in the top 10 nationwide, it doesn't seem to be all that popular here in our area. In fact, out of about 20 people (mostly fellow mommies) I've asked in the last couple days only 2 had ever met a Chloe and 1 was a dog:) I personally have NEVER met or known anyone whose name is Chloe and neither has DH. I do LOVE the name and it DOES bug me that it is so popular, but on the same token I don't want to just not use what I like because it may be someone else's favorite too! Let's face it, unless we name our child something totally off the wall, there are going to be kids everywhere with the same name, right?! Well, even though I think this is the name...I am still very open to something else that we could agree on:):)

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-31-2011 - 12:49pm
It would depend on the name. I used to like Isabella but would never name my child that because I know too many Ellas, Bellas, Isabelles, and every other version of the name lol But, I've never met a Chloe or had any friends/family have that as a name so I don't think it would bother me as much. Plus, you never know. My sister named her children Madeleine and Sophie and several years later they were in the top 10 lol
 BabyFruit Ticker

Pages