Failed 3 hour GTT

iVillage Member
Failed 3 hour GTT
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 6:09pm

Well the hits just keep on coming this week. I thought I was in the clear because my doctor told me the results would be in monday. So when wednesday rolled around and nothing I figured I passed. But this afternoon I got a call saying my levels were elevated. I officially have gestational diabetes...ugh. I have an appointment on the 1st to meet with some nutritionist or whatever and get my blood glucose monitor. I'm supposed to test 5 times a day, when I'm lucky if I eat twice a day. I'm not a big eater, never have been. Don't eat sugar either, I buy everything sugar free and only drink water. I'm hoping that didn't end up biting me in the butt when I loaded myself up with 100 grams of sugar in 5 minutes. I'm going to mention it to my doctor and see what she says but I doubt it'll matter. I have no idea how I'm going to eat 5 or more times a day...it makes me nauseas just thinking about it. So far I've have no symptoms of GD at all. I've only gained 5lbs this entire pregnancy. My belly is actually SMALL for 7 months. And baby's measuring right on target. No swelling, nothing. I'm so shocked and upset. But I guess I'll just have to deal.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 7:28pm
Unfortunately not eating sugar won't affect how your body reacts to the glucose tolerance test. Your body can either produce enough insulin to handle the glucose load ... or it can't. The 3 hour test is a fasting test, which ensures that you didn't eat something high in sugar before the test, which could skew the results. By fasting ... well they're just checking your body's reaction to the glucose drink they give you.

Rest assured it's nothing you've done that resulted in GD. The placental hormones affect how your body handles glucose. I honestly don't remember the specifics. Only that every baby and placenta is different - so you may or may not get the same results every pregnancy. Every woman's natural insulin response is impaired to a degree during pregnancy. Whether or not your end up with GD is based solely on whether or not your body can compensate for the strain caused by that particular pregnancy.

The fact that you already eat a low sugar diet is wonderful - it should mean that in general the diet won't be that hard for you. One area that you could be consuming sugar and not realizing it is if you eat a lot of carbohydrates in the form of fruit and / or grains. All carbohydrates are essentially sugar and all are eventually turned to glucose by your body - they vary only in how quickly your body converts them to glucose (the glycemic index).

If you're accustomed to not eating routine meals / snacks, that will probably be your biggest challenge. But perhaps you can try leaving some good snack choices pre-prepared. Nuts are an excellent choice and a handful goes a long way - high in protein and low in sugar.

Hopefully they'll get you in with a nutritionist who can help you develop a menu that will work your lifestyle.

I'm sorry you're having such a stressful week. For me, when I'm feeling overwhelmed, I like to remind myself, "this too shall pass". And fortunately, that's a very, very true statement when you're talking about GD.

Hang in there!
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 7:48pm
Hang in there and take it one day at a time. That is what gets me through each week :) I'm now on week 5 with gestational diabetes and it still sucks, but there is only a few weeks left. My biggest challenge was not being able to eat when I'm hungry and having to wait until certain times to eat. I hope it's easier for you since you're not a big eater anyway :) Wish that was my case!

Anyway, PP is right- it depends on the placenta and it's hormones. You can't really control how your body reacts to sugar, just what you eat. The big thing they told me is that I had to eat protein and vegetables with every carb. That was hard for me because I'd rather just eat fruit and cereal or crackers all day. I did just discover Oikos Greek Yogurt in caramel flavor and it is really delicious and high in protein. It's good enough that it tastes like a caramel dip for apples... My other favorite meal is spinach salad with fresh strawberries, slivered almonds & feta cheese. Hope that helps a little because it took me weeks of eating different proteins for me to find some I liked.

The other bad part is that I have weekly diabetic appointments, weekly non-stress tests, and biweekly OB appointmetns. I spend way too much time at the hospital and am not allowed to take my daughter which sucks to find that many babysitters. I was PO'd the first week and then it started getting better... sorry to hear you have GD :(
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 11:06pm

Ugh I really hope I don't have to have weekly appointments like that. Theres no way it'll be able to work. DH and I have 1 car. And he'd be at work. He can't take off a day or two every week, he'll lose his job. And theres no way I could wake DD that early, it would mess up her entire schedule. No 3 year old should have to wake up at 4:30 in the morning. I'd have no way of getting there. My biweekly appointments now are getting challenging to schedule. Blah...crossing my fingers.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers