Finger foods---Cheerios?

iVillage Member
Finger foods---Cheerios?
Wed, 02-29-2012 - 7:35pm

Anyone feeding baby cheerios or other finger foods yet?

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2012 - 11:31pm
I tried some puffs with Sam...I broke one apart and put it in his mouth and it came right back out. I tried again and he gagged and spit up. He's clearly not ready for them yet! I'll try again in a week or so.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2012 - 11:28am
puffs are a good idea for first foods since they dissolve so quickly. My problem is I want to snack on them too, lol. I gave cheerios to my older kids at this age, but I think I'll wait on them this time. Also the banana flavored puffs plugged up my last baby...so I guess I'll be feeding prune babyfood along with them this time. :)

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-04-2012 - 3:28pm
Not yet ...

Just as sitting unassisted is a developmental milestone they should reach before starting solid foods of any kind, babies who are typically ready for finger foods have mastered crawling. Mine may not ever crawl normally (ha!!). She's VERY mobile but does an army crawl, inchworm kind of thing. At any rate, I'll be waiting to see her get her belly up off the floor before I even try to give her finger foods. I'll also likely start with Mum Mums or similar so that she can chew on it and get her own appropriately small bites.

My other kids got some oatios (like cheerios but wheat free) probably around 9 mos but never got puffs until after the 1st birthday because puffs have wheat in them. Now there is a brand that makes a wheat free variety, so I'll probably start with those over oatios (because they're so much softer) when we are ready for real finger foods.

We're still working our way through a variety of purees. So far I've made her apples and sweet potatoes and will probably make her carrots this week. Kind of depends on what kind of organic produce I can find in the store each week. I already have organic carrots, so that's why I'm thinking I'll just do those this week.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 11:26am

Anthony is 7 Mo. and has been eating animal crackers since like 4 mo.

Gina