Flat heads and protruding ears anyone?

iVillage Member
Flat heads and protruding ears anyone?
Tue, 11-22-2011 - 10:38pm

Hello to all. I'm new to the group. My little sunshine is 3.5 months born on 8.11.11. She was our miracle baby after 8 fertility treatments! ;

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-23-2011 - 4:33am
Hi and Welcome!!! So glad you joined us. Congrats on your miracle too :) I sure the ears will go back to "normal" once she starts sitting and all that good stuff. I've experienced somewhat of what you are talking about in the past. I don't think I've had a newborn yet that hasn't had some kind of slight or more flat area. Sounds like your dr is keeping a good eye on it. The things I've been doing to battle any flat spots.....she spends time in this (love this chair!) http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3247729
I also carry her around wearing my baby K'Tan carrier....that avoids her laying on her back. I also let her play on her tummy on the playmat, which has a small boppy pillow to help keep her proped, under her belly. Also, my little one will play on her side on the floor, which helps with the head issue. take care, keep us updated :)

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-25-2011 - 12:36am
My first child had major problems and I was afraid they'd put him in a helmet. He had torticolis (head tilts to one side because of a neck injury that happened during birth) and his head was all out of whack. We were able to correct the neck problem with physical therapy and once he built up the muscles to move his neck around, he improved pretty quickly. Do lots of tummy time when she's awake. Also, if she is sleeping right in front of you WHERE YOU ARE WATCHING HER the whole time, you might let her sleep on her stomach on just a crib with a sheet or a play mat or something-- but not with any pillows or blankets.
baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-25-2011 - 12:36am
BTW My son looked like the basement monster from the Goonies until his head evened out. It was terrible.
baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-25-2011 - 11:28am

Great thoughts! Can you send me a link to that carrier? Revi hates the one I have. She will only last for about 15 minutes in it. I'll try that infant chair. Looks great!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-25-2011 - 11:29am

Yes, I have let her sleep on her stomach but only on her mat when I am right there to ensure she is breathing!!!! Great tips.

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-26-2011 - 5:47am

this is the link to the new color ...I have one in black (they come in several different colors)

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-26-2011 - 3:20pm
My little guy doesn't have a flat head and I attribute it to the fact that he sleeps with his head to the side. I guess he got used to it sleeping on my shoulder (tummy facing me, head completely to the side) and now when we lay him on his back he puts his head to one side or the other to lay his cheek flat on the mattress. I'm not sure this isn't bad for him but he seems comfie and the doc hasn't said anything about it.

He prefers one side but he'll sleep with both sides flat so we try to mix it up a bit to prevent a flat 'side head'! :)

Melissa