GD Mommas?!

iVillage Member
GD Mommas?!
Thu, 06-02-2011 - 2:44pm

I know there are a couple of us on the board. I thought we could all connect since we're dealing with the same thing. So how are you feeling lately? Where you shocked with the GD diagnosis? How are you doing with diet/controlling blood sugars? Its definitely a frustrating and annoying thing, but I think if we could all support each other it might not seem so bad! :smileyhappy:

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-02-2011 - 3:23pm
I was definitely shocked and have been annoyed & frustrated :) I am doing much better though. I started on insulin shots every evening about two weeks ago and have had much better sugars. I still have to be very careful with my carbs though. I eat about 30 gms for breakfast & each snack, and 45 gms for lunch and dinner. I am seriously craving some chocolate and a coke though lately! I will be so glad to not be diabetic in a few weeks.

I don't ever really "cheat", but Monday & Wednesday I was at the community swimming pool all day long and did share a small scoop of ice cream with my daughter. Didn't seem to spike my sugar though which is a good thing for me... swimming & ice cream just go together :)

I also haven't gained any weight for the past six weeks, so I'm actually feeling pretty good & light! I'm living off of greek yogurt and PB and fresh berries on a spinach salad which all taste so good now that it's summer.

What have you been eating? How have your sugars been? Any good meal ideas? Any cravings that won't go away?
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-02-2011 - 4:14pm

I've been living on sandwiches, its one of the few carbs I can eat and it doesn't spike my blood sugar. I'm loving cheese, peanut butter, sugar free pudding lol. I got some sugar free popsicles too that have been a life saver. It gives me my sweet fix and they're great when its hot. They have 0 sugar and only 4 carbs. My sugars have been good surprisingly. I was so worried when I started taking them. I've only been monitoring for 2 days since I got my monitor yesterday, but thankfully only 1 has been a little high. And it was my own fault. I kind of cheated a little at breakfast this morning. I had a carnation instant breakfast and didn't realize what was in it. So it was 133 and they want it under 120. But lesson learned and they've been find the rest of the day. I'm hoping I can keep it under control, its definitely a learning experience and a lot of trial and error. I've been craving a doughnut so so SO badddd. But the nutritionist told me I have to incoorporate some sugar into my diet because when they called me last week with the diagnosis I cut out all sugar and it dropped really low a couple days ago. I got really sick and actually called L&D to see what I should do. Luckily it was resolved by a big glass of lemonade but it was scary. It definitely gets old after a while but I know it could be a lot worse.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-02-2011 - 5:50pm

I just took the 3 hour test today (miserable!). So I will be finding out soon if I've got GD or not. I hope I don't, but good luck to you ladies who do! BTW, I was totally shocked when they called me to come back in...

Meez 3D avatar avatars games
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 1:29pm

I was diagnosed with GD last Thursday, and have been monitoring and dieting ever since.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 3:27pm

Hi Ladies.

This is my second time with GD. My doctor is a lot more relaxed about it this time - she didn't even make me take the 1 hour or 3 hour test! - probably because we already know I will have another c-section. However, I started monitoring blood sugars at 15 weeks, and I've been following a strict diet so that I don't gain as much this time around. I live on English Muffins, peanut butter, eggs, turkey, and Fiber One bars! I have found that I have to stay away from pizza and french fries. For some reason, they both spike my blood sugars way up. Pasta is ok if I actually only have one serving.

Luckily I can control mine with diet and exercise. I hope you are all doing ok with it and I'm glad we have each other for support!

Alyssa

&nbsp
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-03-2011 - 5:21pm
Glyburide is the safest oral medication. studies show it doesn't cross the placenta and is safely used. I told my diabetes practitioner that I didn't want to be on metformin because it is not recommended like insulin or glyburide, so I'm on insulin. I would have felt comfortable going on glyburide though. It is most effective if you are fairly stable and not too overweight. I was only having problems with my fasting numbers (104-106) and some of my other numbers were low, so that is why they put me on Lantus insulin- it lowers the fasting numbers but is not supposed to make you drop too low. It is tough to swallow! I'm a RN and work with diabetes patients all the time, but when it affects me it is so much different! I also don't like artificial sweeteners, so it is really hard for me to find sweet treats that are low carb... I'd rather have 5 measly chocolate chips than a sugar free popsicle (although I've tried to like them, lol)!
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-06-2011 - 10:45am

So, as an RN, you would feel comfortable recommending Glyburide?

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-06-2011 - 9:55pm
I think the research only says that regular insulin is considered safe, but it still increases the risk of preterm labor. It's hard to find research on pregnant women, but regular insulin has been around so long that most Dr.'s consider it safe. Glyburide is pretty new compared to insulin so that's why there are mixed messages with it, but from what I've read it is seems to be as safe as insulin and I'd feel comfortable with it. I haven't heard that Glyburide causes false readings, but you might be right :) Once they put me on Lantus, I stopped researching Glyburide (well actually I stopped researching everything, because I kept scaring myself...). I hate all the conflicting messages the internet has and all the different opinions of all the different doctors!

On another note- I have found that almond flour makes good pancakes :) They are super low carb, and you can eat 4 of them for only a couple carbs which makes them easy to eat and they fill you up :) Recipe is:
•1 cup almond flour/meal
•2 eggs
•1/4 cup water (for puffier pancakes, you can use sparkling water)
•2 T oil
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•1 T sweetener
I also added a dash of vanilla :) and cook them like regular pancakes...
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-07-2011 - 2:45pm
Anyone else have to check their urine for keytones every morning? Just wondering, because I do and it's always been negative for the past 7 weeks until the past two days. This morning I had moderate amounts & really low fasting sugar (61) with a low sugar before lunch, too (51). Wish I knew what in the world was going on... does this mean I can have a coke again ha ha...
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-07-2011 - 2:55pm

I haven't had to check my urine for keytones, but

Pages