Heart Palpitations???

iVillage Member
Heart Palpitations???
Tue, 03-29-2011 - 8:51am

So about a week ago i started experiecing heart palpitations , but only a couple a day. Last thursday i ended up going in to the dr because they were alot more frequent and my heart was racing. They hooked me up to the EKG for 60 sec and all it recorded was a rapid heartrate. I don't even think i had a palpitation when they had me hooked up for the 60 sec. They are also running some blood work. Anyways-- NOW they are happening ALOT, i have had 5 while laying on my left side in just 5 minutes. I notice them more when laying on left side or sitting down. I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse. I am not experiencing any pain, or shortness of breath just the uncomfortable scary feeling of my heart doing flip flops. Does anyone else have any experience with these?? They are really starting to freak my out!! :(

Marsha 

mommy to Rylee Elizabeth 4/12/2005 

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-29-2011 - 10:12am
I get palpitations when I drink too much caffeine during pregnancy. It doesn't usually happen at all when I'm not pregnant. If I have one soft drink I'm fine, but if I drink sweet tea I get them. They can also be caused by too much sodium in your diet. Have you tried cutting out caffeine and/or sodium? I would start there and see if anything changes. HTH!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-29-2011 - 10:49pm

I am getting these too.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 9:37am

Are you getting them every hour? Its a terrible feeling.. i hate it!!

Marsha 

mommy to Rylee Elizabeth 4/12/2005 

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 2:28pm
I experienced them last year, but when I went to the doc my EKG just showed pre-atrial fibrillation. I was NOT pregnant at the time. They also did a chest x-ray. Everything looked good. From I've read and was told the pre-atrial fibrillation is often associated with excitement, high-stress, lack of sleep and substantial caffeine intake.

As it turns out, I was experiencing a particularly intense period of time at school, with my volunteer work and at home ... so I was low on sleep, high on caffeine and high on stress. Given that 3 of those are thought to be root causes and everything else looked fine, I decided not to worry about it.

And to be honest, when I quit worrying about them they began to subside. So I think the stress of experiencing them to begin with actually made them worse.

Did your doc give you any advice or suggest any other tests? Did he give you the root cause of the palpitations?
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-30-2011 - 8:36pm

I had them really bad in my early 20's.

baby