Homemade Baby Food!

iVillage Member
Homemade Baby Food!
Fri, 02-10-2012 - 11:30am

Is anyone making/planning to make homemade baby food?

photo snowsiggy.png

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-16-2012 - 9:13am
ITA. Also I think it's worth noting that ounce for ounce, toxins are tougher on our babies than on us. If I eat pesticide laden applesauce, my body is better able to filter, etc. 1 oubce toxic food = 100+ lb mama. That same 1 ounce of toxic food is a lot harder on my 16 lb baby's system than on mine.

We are fortunate enough that I can buy organic versions of most things I want to. Now that it's spring, we will be able to get a lot of fresh food at more affordable prices as the farmers' market.

But I always point out to those who want to buy organic but can't buy organic everything due to the sometimes greater cost (not always a lot greater though, so it's worth doing the math), that experts tend to agree you can dramatically cut your pesticide exposure by choosing organic foods on the dirty dozen list ... 12 foods you should ALWAYS buy organic. It's not necessary to buy everything organic. We concentrate on the dirty dozen list + dairy and try to buy natural meat products.

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/dirty-dozen-foods#fbIndex1

Grapes (from chile ... usa grapes are ok non organic ... around here this means no grapes for big portions of the year).

Apples

Strawberries

Peaches

Celery

Nectarines

Spinach

Sweet Bell Peppers (all colors)

Potatoes

Blueberries

Lettuce

Kale

While not on the dirty dozen list, I think it's worth pointing out that hormones added to dairy cows concentrate in the fat ... so while we buy all organic dairy, if you can't buy all organic dairy, at least consider buying organic whole milk, half-n-half, etc. We have a local diary where I live that while not certified organic has its own dairy herd and they do not use growth hormones at all. This is where we buy ice cream.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-14-2012 - 3:57pm

When the 103 year old lady was growing up, the food industry wasn't adding the amount of toxic garbage to our food as they are today.

baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-13-2012 - 11:21am

We all ate the "regular" non organic foods growing up and I'm still alive!

Gina
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-05-2012 - 1:38am

The big benefit to making your own is cost savings.

baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-16-2012 - 11:30am

I do avacodos, but that's it.. I'm on WIC and they provide jarred baby food, so that's good enough for me.. Hey, times are tough

Gina
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 2:35pm
P.S. I mix everything into her rice cereal. I do apples/pears for a snack with no cereal.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-15-2012 - 2:33pm

Yes! I"ve been doing this for over 2 months. I steam any veggie and puree it with a hand mixer. I have also done banana, avocado, etc that does not require cooking. All freeze well. I bake potatoes and sweet potatoes.

It's well worth taking an hour or so every weekend and making them up for the week ahead.

THanks for sharing the recipe.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-10-2012 - 8:19pm
we are making all homemade baby food :-) we actually just started (delayed solids until she turned 6 months). So far we've just done homemade cereals, brown rice and oatmeal. she's not a big fan of the rice but has gobbled up the oatmeal. i bought a book on baby food making and it helped with learning how to make cereals but i'm realizing that i didn't really need it otherwise because making baby food is pretty common sense. It does have some interesting puree combinations that i probably wouldn't have thought of though, so it maybe helpful for variety i guess. i ended up getting a Wilton silicone mini brownie pan for freezing bc it has plenty of compartments (24) and each holds a nice 1 oz serving. Silicone is much easier to work with than the regular ice cube trays. i'm really excited to make different things! i think we are going to do avacado and sweet potato next :-)
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-21-2012 - 12:24am

I'm doing it.

baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-15-2012 - 12:18am
I've done banana, avocado, sweet potatoes and peas, but the rest has been store-bought.
Photobucket

Pages