How much is your LO eating in one feeding, and how often?

iVillage Member
How much is your LO eating in one feeding, and how often?
Tue, 12-06-2011 - 12:11am

Mine is still getting some breast milk but we're transitioning to formula.

baby
iVillage Member

My almost 5 month old has been eating 7-8 oz for a while. She eats every 3-5 hours but usually 3ish. I have begun to feed her cereal in AM and at PM along with a bottle. She LOVES the rice cereal. She was 12.5 lbs at our last pedi appt. My pedi says 28-32 oz per day is what we should stive for.

I'm having a hard time keeping up with her so I've begun to research a formula to supplement the b/milk.

~shan

iVillage Member

dd is eating every 2.5-3 hours during the day (sometimes a little longer, depending on how long her naps are). she is breastfeed, so i don't know how much she eats at those feedings, but she does get one 6oz bottle of formula before bed. she was getting 4oz until about a month ago when she started to still seem hungry when the bottle was done (still sucking vigorusly at the end rather than slowing down, getting drowsy, etc). i wish we didn't have to give her the bottle at all, but i had supply issues and we were supplementing after every feeding (1-2 oz) and now we are down to just this one bottle. i've thought about trying to wean her off of it too, but i'm nervous becasue she's on the small side for her age (5th percentile for weight, the ped says it's fine because she's gaining steadily, just slowly, but that is just the way some babies gain) so the bottle is kind of reassuring for me at this point, kwim?

iVillage Member

according to my doc my 4 mo old should get 28-32 oz. i feed her 4 8 oz bottles per day. sometimes she doesn't take the whole bottle, but very close to it if not all of it every time. hope this helps.

iVillage Member

John Peter is drinking 4 oz bottle during the day with the sitter.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
That's awesome!
baby
iVillage Member
Sam is eating around every 2hrs during the day (EBF), but then he sleeps 9-10hrs at night. I don't mind at all.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
What you're doing sounds perfect. I know when feeding a breastfeeding baby a bottle they recommend you always use the slow flow nipples. The medium flow nipples tend to be for babies who are drinking large amounts of formula (to help them suck it down faster). But personally, I'm not sure there is wisdom in doing that, kwim? So I'd personally stick with the slow flow nipples unless he seems to be struggling to gain weight and needs to drink more volume than he is willing to drink through the slow flow nipple. JMO.
iVillage Member

I haven't done the math, but 25 sounds about right for what he's getting in a 24 hour period.

baby
iVillage Member
Babies need an average of 25 ounces of milk a day (the full range discovered through extensive research is 19-33 ounces). This is true for the first 6 months of life. AFter babies begin eating solid foods in quantity, their milk intake actually begins to decline. So the general advice is take the 25 ounce average and divide by the number of feedings per day.

So if baby eats 8 times per day, you'd expect just a touch over 3 ounces in each bottle,

We're still nursing and she doesn't have a solid schedule. But I never put more than 2 ounces in a bottle because I she tends to not finish the bottles as it is. However, the other night she took 2 - 2 ounce bottles for the sitter (so 4 ounces at one time). Since she's nursing, I don't really know how much she takes in at those times. But, imo, more than 4 ounces at a time is probably unreasonable given the ages of our babies. I would think it preferred to eat smaller more frequent meals.

Obviously when feeding bottles, it's still important (be they formula or breastmilk) to keep the pace of the feeding similar to a natural breastfeeding pace ... so not too fast. If baby guzzles the milk too fast, he won't realize he's full and will take more than he needs (kind of like when we overeat). Soon that leads to regular overeating because you need the super full feeling to be satisfied. And this is actually one of the theories as to why babies who were bottlefed as infants often grow up to battle weight problems ... it's just the way their brains were trained.

I know I certainly have the problem of overeating to feel full. When I'm busy and just sort of snack through my meal, I eat far less and still end up feeling full because I ate it at a slower pace and my body had time to communicate with my brain.

HTH