Kind of OT-- dealing w/ a toddler + baby. (I'm skeered!)

iVillage Member
Kind of OT-- dealing w/ a toddler + baby. (I'm skeered!)
Fri, 04-08-2011 - 9:07am

My 2 year old son is in for a rude awakening, I'm afraid.

baby
iVillage Member

My DD was 16 mo. when my son was born.

iVillage Member

You will have times when you want to pull your hair out but in my experience the transition wasn't that bad.

Photobucket
iVillage Member

iVillage Member

I had the same fears when I was pregnant with DS. My world completely revolved around DD and I couldn't comprehend how I would manage with another. Then after DS was born it was like it all just fell into place. DD was very independant for her age and potty trained right at 2 so I didn't have to worry about that. She was almost 2 1/2 when DS was born and when I would nurse him sometimes she would sit right next to us and I'd read her a book or she would play with her babies. I think that being worried is totally natural BUT it's also very natural to introduce another child and incorporate another into your life. I think that the transition will be more smoothly than you think and after the baby is born you will find yourself thinking it was maybe easier than you thought. I'm not saying at all you won't be busy or stressed at times, I just think it will be smoother than your worries would let you think.

On that note, I absolutely HATE when people say "Oh, you are going to have 3 KIDS?!? Do do know you are going to be busy, right?!" Well, duh I know 3 kids is going to be more busy than 2...it's simple math my friends!!!

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member

I think my greatest fear is just getting through the first two weeks, then the first 2-3 months.

baby
iVillage Member
Yes it always works itself out when the time comes. Sometimes I've had an easier time with the newborn and the youngest....depends on the temperment of the kids. My current youngest is very clingy, so we'll see. But when he was a newborn, he was so easy and slept all the time.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Sorry about the phantom post. I sort of worry about this as my.daughter will be 3.5 years old when her sister is born. We were not expecting or planning for this much of an.age gap but we experienced some fertility problems and resulting miscarriages. I feel like she is too young to help and really understand why mommy is paying attention to another baby but old enough to feel jealous. From day one she demanded attention and she really is our world. We go out to dinner without her maybe once a month but we never go on our own vacations. My hubs works a lot so his weekend time is his time with her. I will have to keep the nanny while I'm on maternity leave so I will have help. Plus she starts school shortly after baby is born so she will be busy. I'm trying to read her big sister books and buy her baby doll props like crib, stroller to get her.ready. I'm also thinking of doing a fun weekend trip the three of us before baby.

Any btdt advice?
 BabyFetus Ticker