Natural Birth Mommas

iVillage Member
Natural Birth Mommas
Sat, 07-02-2011 - 1:56am

So this time around I'm not only hoping for a VBAC but also a non-medicated birth. My birth experience with DD was so medically controlled and chaotic and I had no say in anything. (Which I guess is expected with a c-section). So with this birth I really want to be in control. I just wanted some advice from other natural birth moms. I know the pain is different for everyone but any info on pain managment, relaxation techniques, labor/birth positions. Anything would be appreciated. I've looked up and read A LOT about this but nothing is better then first hand experiences and advice.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-02-2011 - 4:57am
I had non-medicated labors with both of my children and wouldn't want it any other way. I think the most important thing is to listen to your body. I relaxed and concentrated through contractions without freaking out that it hurt. Walking and the exercise ball are great too. The pushing phase gets to be blurry because your endorphines take over. Listening to the doc/MF will get through it. That is the most painful part, but again Listening to your body will guide you through it. GL
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-02-2011 - 1:31pm
I think you have a great head start by researching all the information you can gather. With DS for me personally the.exercise ball and walking helped me. Also just knowing that the baby would be here soon and I wasn't going to be labor forever. You'll do great
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-02-2011 - 10:09pm

For me, I think that the biggest thing about not being medicated is that I am fully aware and able to respond... my births tend to be "chaotic" though... mainly because they are ridiculously fast (the nice thing about fast is that they have no opportunity to medicate me)!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-02-2011 - 10:25pm

Hi!

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-02-2011 - 11:03pm

My first was completely unmedicated but I also think I went into shock, I was however quite calm and relaxed and my dh was great, calm cool collected. I found with my first it was uncomfortable and some points where it really hurt but it was not that bad.

My second I 1)had an unwanted person in delivery(SIL) and 2) had a student doctor which for the most part I dont mind, it just kinda freaked me out with all the questions he was asking distracted me from giving birth as I was worried about this kid delivering my baby.

I kept repeating my bum my bum my bum but I found it was more helpfull as a kind of meditation then anything if I stopped my chanting it actually hurt, in my bum which is why I kept saying my bum. I for some reason could not say anything else but that and my actual dr. kept telling me to calm down, and shot me up with demerol. I couldnt protest that because again I couldnt say anything but my bum my bum. lol

This time it will ONLY be DH and I, if he is in town at the time if not I will have to bring my mom which I dont want,

Lilypie - Personal picture
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-03-2011 - 12:01am
River, I wish there was a like button. I'm going to check that book out as well
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-04-2011 - 11:18am

I had DS at home in the tub, and I'm planning the same for this one. I don't know that I have anything new to add, but I would like to second a few things that I think are important:

1) Get to know how your body works through labor. If you know that through a contraction, your uteris is basically pushing your baby out, it way easier to relax and not fight it. Let your body do what

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-05-2011 - 5:31pm
Everyone has great advice. I've never had a completely non-medicated birth. but Considering it this time. Lots of great info!

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&