odd question about the cold

iVillage Member
odd question about the cold
Sun, 01-15-2012 - 12:44am
So this evening we went grocery shopping and on the way into the store, caylee's lips seemed to almost freeze together. It definitely is cold out, probably around 15 - 18 degrees, and we parked not too far away, maybe the 7th spot. I have noticed this once before and i move her lips a little, but the face she made tonight was almost scary. It looked as if she couldnt breathe. Her eyes got very wide and she looked so scared. We got inside really quickly and she was fine, but as we started strolling along her lips looked a little blue and she just had this look on her face like she was worried or sick. After maybe a minute or so her lips were fine and she was fine.
So after all that, is it possible for her lips to freeze together? (She is teething and has alot of excess spit, so that may have contributed to this) and what can i do to prevent this from happening?
Thanks for listening. It was just so scary to see that look on her face :( broke my heart.
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-15-2012 - 2:01am

Hm, thats a little odd. Was she gasping for air or anything? Her lips could have definitely frozen together but for her to be outside for such a short period of time and have that happen is weird. Did you feel her face? Was it like FREEZING cold or kind of normal? If it was FREEZING that could contribute to her blue lips but if she was normal temp the blue lip thing would worry me a little because that would tell me it was something other then just the cold. I would definitely keep an eye out and make sure it doesn't keep happening. Its really scary though I know. It might not hurt to mention it to her doctor too. Just to be on the safe side.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-16-2012 - 4:24am

It doesn't get that cold here, so I don't have any experience with this, but could you dry her lips off before you get out and maybe put some chapstick on her lips?

baby
iVillage Member
Tue, 01-17-2012 - 2:55am
Her face wasnt super cold at all, just her lips, and yes it did look like she was gasping for air.
Its weird because she is always warm, but i am going to try the chapstick thing. It might prevent them from sticking together.
Good thing we havent had to go anywhere the past couple of days, the high was like 10 degrees!
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-18-2012 - 4:25am
poor thing :( yikes it is cold where you live! I don't know, maybe that cold really takes her breath away .... I know it would for me!

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-20-2012 - 3:31pm

I agree with the chapstick thing, it might help them not get dry/freeze together. Another thing that might help is before you even take her out of the car to throw a fleece blanket or something over the carseat. Obviously not right on her face but just so when she does get outside the cold doesn't blast her right in the face. I'm not sure if you've already done that but just suggestion. The cold could definitely be taking her breath away. I know when its super cold out I have hard time taking a nice deep breath.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers