prometrium girls :)
Fri, 12-03-2010 - 7:33am

Hi!

~Andrea~ IMG_1563

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-03-2010 - 8:03am

Thats a title Ive never had before ;)

Well I too have had 3 m/cs. I started taking progesterone before m/cs though. I took natural suppositories in Sep 09 when I had a 9 day LP. UGH! I haven't stopped it since. I increased my dose to 100/mg when I got pregnant in Nov 09 & Im convinced its the only reason I got pregnant. I was also using progesterone cream so I was probably getting a bit more. I dont think it was enough as I got + HPT & started bleeding next day, when they tested my Progesterone. It was way low.

I then switched to 400mg of Prometrium orally as I too was sick of mess and pantyliners all the time. Well I didnt get pregnant again until I switched back to 1/2 vaginal 1/2 oral in May. My progesterone was tested & it was great, unfortunately I had a blood clot next to sac & the sac was odd shaped. I had a D&C in June.

My OB refused to rxd Prometrium & I had to see an RE. She doesnt believe in it but gave it to me anyway. I doubled the dose she rxd. Somedays I only take 300mg usually 400, but I doubt I get it all as even after 2 hrs of lying down I still see bits of pill when I pee.

Ive been taking it for so long I dont notice side effects anymore. I sorta knew I was pregnant as I was dizzy from my body's progesterone plus supplementing. I normally never get dizzy anymore, esp. since only using vaginally.

As far as stopping. Im guessing Ill stop after week 13 but Ill check with OB. I was just thinking is she going to be able to even tell me what to do since she doesnt believe in it? Im going to be petrified to stop thats for sure. I dont even think I can get them to do a progesterone level test. My RE refused before.

I cant think that far yet. Maybe after I see a h/b.

*mindy*
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-03-2010 - 12:53pm

LOL... sorry about the new title!

~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-03-2010 - 11:53pm

Hi! Not taking prometrium now (at least not yet), but I took a 200mg capsule orally after O due to an LP defect with my last pregnancy. I got pregnant my 3rd cycle taking it after O (and had 7 cycles under my belt before that), and I continued taking it through 12w6d. I just stopped it cold turkey without incident and everything was fine! The placenta takes over progesterone production ~10wks but generally it's 100% taken over by 13wks, so that's the reason for taking it that long. Some docs only prescribe it through 10wks.

Side effects I had...dizziness (so I took it at bedtime only), constipation, and fatigue. Oh, and really sore bbs, but that could have just been the pregnancy!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-14-2011 - 10:38am

Hello Ladies,

I'm joining this thread really late... but I saw it and decided to post.

I had an LP defect (3 days my first PPAF, 5 days my 2nd PPAF!!!) after 26 months of BFing. My doctor is very unfamiliar with how to treat this, so she consulted an RE, who recommended we try 200mg - 3 times a day post O. Well, first cycle, I got my BFP. I am ecstatic, but also concerned, because I know I read somewhere that the prometrium can sustain a PG that can't sustain itself on its own.

My doctor also prescribed it through only 10 weeks, and has not done any progesterone level testing. In fact, I haven't even been seen yet! She wouldn't see me until I am between 8-9 weeks.

I am so tired of it. I seriously groan every time I get another capsule out of the pill bottle. I

Alyssa

&nbsp
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-14-2011 - 11:57am
Oooh me too.
Thats a whopping dose of Progesterone! I think it probably would have improved on its own since AF PP can be whacked.
At any rate Ive been taking various amts of Progesterone for over 1.5 yrs.
Ive had many Drs who dont believe in it, including my current OB.
My RE doesnt believe in it either, but she RXd since she said it wont hurt.

Do you take it orally or vaginally? You get way more side effects orally, but its more potent vaginally.

I want to stop mine, Im 11wk, as Im curious if it would help my m/s subside.

My RE did rx it to 12wks. I have heard plenty stop @ 10 wks or some even earlier. I tried to lower dose & only do every other day but I panicked this am & took another one. *sigh*

I do believe that low progesterone can cause a miscarriage, though lots of Drs do not. Ive had 3 miscarriages all while taking Progesterone @ varying amts. Its why I upped my dose after my first m.c as I did have levels checked & they were awful. I was also only taking 150mg if I was lucky, as I upped my dose myself & was also using cream.
My RE refused to take Progesterone levels, which annoyed me, especially during my last miscarriage.

I feel like I have been wearing pads for years now.

Anyway, if I were you I would not stop before 10wks esp. given how low your progesterone was recently.
*mindy*
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-14-2011 - 12:18pm

I take it orally. I took it vaginally once and it was soooo gross, so oozy and messy and forget being intimate! It's actually the exact same pill, you can insert it or swallow it. I took it in shot form once after IVF and that kind of sucked injecting myself every day. I don't think I have any side effects, I'm constipated sometimes but I don't know if it's from that or just being preggo.

Katie

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-14-2011 - 12:37pm

Hello,

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-14-2011 - 2:16pm

It's actually not any less potent orally. You're still getting the same amount of medicine, they just get absorbed in differnt places. I stopped taking it at 12 weeks last time and it didn't help the MS, that went away on it's own around 15 weeks.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-14-2011 - 3:05pm
I take 1 cc of progesterone in oil intramuscularly every morning and 400mg prometrium vaginally every night. I don't mind the suppository as it is night time and it doesn't seem to be messy at all. I am glad to avoid the mess during the day although my butt sure would appreciate the break in shots!

I take it as I had IVF and that is typical protocol. The only real side effect I have noticed is bloating. I refer to it as my progesterone baby. I look seriously pregnant and have since my transfer. When I am 10 weeks I will start weaning off all my medications. I am really looking forward to that!
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-14-2011 - 4:25pm
I take it vaginally, and I won't quit, I just can't wait to be done.

I stopped taking the mini pill 5 months before I got PPAF, then I had a 70 day cycle, followed by a 45 day cycle, both with a super short LP. I know it would have probably lengthened on it's own, but at that rate, it would have probably been another 5 months. I wasn't willing to wait, and my doctor was willing to help me. I never imagined BFing would affect my cycles so much.

Oh well, I suppose it's all water under the bridge, now!

Alyssa

&nbsp

Pages