Shower for Baby #2?

iVillage Member
Shower for Baby #2?
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 10:44am

Is anyone having one for you?

My aunt mentioned over the weekend.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 10:59am
Ugh! Sorry you have to deal with such crap. I unfriended my SIL. She and my brother live in upstate NY with the rest of most of my family. They drive down to MD to see her family that live 3 minutes from our house, but anytime my brother tries to make plans to see us and the kids too, she makes up things they have to do so they 'don't have time.' She makes snippy comments all the time on FB too. So I unfriended her. She asked why and I sent her an email saying clearly, we're not friends and being connected on FB makes me feel bad and I can't take it, especially being pregnant. I'm not letting her attitude stress me out.

I hope you can settle things with her. Or unfriend her. Life is too short to stress out and affect your baby.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 1:03pm
I didn't have a shower for baby #2, and to be honest I didn't really need one. If baby #2 had been born a boy, we could have used baby boy clothes - but that's it. And baby #2 was born a girl (we didn't know in advance), so I didn't even need that.

Baby #3 will be 7 years younger than my oldest, and I actually do need to replace some things this time around ... new boppy (mine is sad), new infant car seat / stroller combo, new bottle nipples, and possibly a new baby bathtub. Again, depending on gender, I may need clothes / bedding. Oh and I need a new sling because mine got lost when baby #2 was 2.

But I seriously doubt any shower of any kind will take place. I just don't need that much. I did a very small registry at my mother's request just so people would have an idea what I might need.

But whether or not a shower makes sense probably depends on how much you kept / saved. I don't need a crib, playpen, highchair, floor play gym, etc. And I STILL have enough baby blankets that are in perfect condition for this plus 3 or 4 more babies. But if you're the kind of person that got rid of everything the second baby outgrew it's usefulness, I can see where a shower is more needed.

Still I don't think they're that common for subsequent pregnancies - especially when the pregnancies are within just a few years of each other.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 1:42pm

Nobody bought us big stuff the first go round except for a few of my aunts who went in together and bought a high chair.

baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 3:20pm

With DD being our first we did have the whole baby shower sha-bang: ) It was way over the top with tons of guests, a crazy amount of food and TONS of gifts (all thanks to my Mom and sisters!). But to be honest, I had WAY too much stuff for DD!

When we found out DS was going to be a boy my sisters immediately wanted to do something since I would need boy clothes and because he was the first boy born into my side of the family in over a decade! So I had a very intimate shower with one of my best friends, 3 of my sisters who live her, my mom, MIL, my 2 SIL's and my husbands grandma. It was nice and everyone was told that if they wanted to bring a gift, to bring clothes.

This time around I definately didn't want a shower. My kids are all around 2 years apart so I feel like I just had one. BUT a friend from church confronted me and said she wanted to do a cassarole shower for me. Which I have never heard of but what a fun idea! Basically everyone showers you with meals they have made that you can freeze: ) So that's what will happen this time around for us.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 3:28pm
We are having a second one. My children will be 2 years apart, but my cousin wanted to throw one and I said that's fine. If we are having a girl we need clothes and a few small items. It will mainly be a diaper shower and a celebration of the baby. I just want to party and everyone to have a good time. We do have second and third showers for friends and family just to have a reason to get together :-) I say have one if you are okay with it.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 3:29pm
Hope you have a big freezer!
baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 4:36pm

My sister and a couple friends are throwing me one.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-25-2011 - 8:04pm

Haha...we dont have a big freezer at all!! Maybe Ill have an excuse to buy a small one for the garage?!

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-26-2011 - 4:58pm

Im not.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-26-2011 - 5:25pm
My close friends and god parents to this lo will be throwing one for me. I don't know when I'm not sure when it will be. My ds will be 7 years apart from my othe ds. I got rid of everything so this will be nice.