Tips for the traveling mom? Revi is 4 mos old

iVillage Member
Tips for the traveling mom? Revi is 4 mos old
Mon, 12-12-2011 - 6:17am

Hello all,

I'm taking our first BABY plane ride this weekend. My doc has approved a small amount of Benedryl if needed. My 4 month old has been off napping schedules this weekend with holiday shopping and parties, so I'm already nervous.

I'd love to hear any tips anyone has. She sleeps in her swing for her power nap during the day. I'm very worried that she won't take good naps while we're away and be up all night crying (like she has been this weekend).

Thanks a million!

Shan

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 10:18am
Hi Shan,

iVillage put together some really great tips for traveling with baby that I wanted to share with you. I hope that you find it to be of some help! Good luck to you and safe travels! Be sure to let us know how it goes!

How to Fly with Baby: Real-Mom Tips on Packing, Sailing through Security, and Staying Sane- http://www.ivillage.com/how-fly-baby/6-b-326140

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 12:30pm
Our little one will be taking her first plane ride next month! I used to take my 1st on the plane quite often when she was about 6 months and older. (when I look back on it, what a walk in the park compared to taking the 5 kids I have now, lol) Boy I miss those days sometimes! With my 1st it was before all the new airline restrictions, so it was a little easier. I'm sure you've already thought of all this stuff, but this is what I do. I take their carseat and stroller up to the boarding section of the plane. I check before hand to see if any extra seats available so I know if I can bring the carseat on first off. I like the carseat so I can cover her up in it from the germs if needed, safer and great to have a place to put them down. I check the stroller right before boarding the plane, that way the stroller is available right there when I walk off the plane. I have the baby bag stocked with pacifiers/formula/bottles (if bottle feeding at the time) some fun quiet toys to play with, wipes...the usuals. I will give the baby a pacifier or bottle/nurse while taking off to help her ears pop and especially give her a bottle when the plane is landing to help keep her ears clear and popped. Babies this young are pretty easy on planes. How long is your flight? Ours will be 3-4 hours. I am nervous about keeping her in the hotel on schedule and happy with sleeping situations. I am going to bring a fan for noise that she is used to every night at home. Will you be staying in a house or hotel? I just try to bring whatever I can from home and make it as similar as possible for her. it's not ideal but a carseat for the nap is doable and similar to her swing at home if you have to. it's all about improvising and surviving with a baby on a trip :) and ditto on the crying awake a lot at night....I don't want my little baby girl keeping everyone up around us in the hotel , yikes! :)

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-14-2011 - 12:50pm
I just checked out the ivillage tips myself! totally agree with the "new" toy or even one they really love. the diaper idea is great.I make sure to have an extra outfit/bibs as well ...diaper blowouts and spitups are common with us ,a wet dirty baby won't be happy :) Now if I can figure out this bottle/water thing with the new regulations.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-08-2012 - 1:09pm
thx for the tips.