Torn between these two carseats, which one?

iVillage Member
Torn between these two carseats, which one?
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 6:17am

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 6:33am

Hi.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 7:38am
i have a graco safeseat...which they no longer sell and had to get a snugride base for my mom's care. i love it. i have no info on safety 1st though i'm sorry...but i honestly don't think you can go wrong w/ graco overall.
 BabyFetus Ticker

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 10:09am

I'm not trying to knock anyone here, but Graco's Snugride is kind of a rip.

baby
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 1:27pm
It's true that graco's latest seats aren't faring as well as some of the others. But I think it's due to a need for an update, whereas some of the other seats have been updated more recently.

And consumer reports overall ratings can be very misleading. For example, the Britax infant seat gets a fairly low overall rating, but is actually one of the safest seats on the market. It's below average rating was due to the fact that it's harder to install correctly than some of the other seats (and I don't know what this means exactly because they also say the Graco is only moderately easy to install, and I can promise that it's VERY, VERY easy in reality). To me, as a parent, it's your job to ensure that you install the seat correctly and safely. They come with extensive instructions and there are many resources throughout the average community to help you get it right. I know the stats say that about 80 percent of car seats are installed incorrectly. But I've had my seats checked. They're all right. Never had one that was wrong. So I'm not sure what is so hard about installing a car seat for 80 percent of the world.

At any rate, when I bought my original infant seat 7+ years ago, Graco was the second leading car seat on the market (Peg Perego was the highest rated). Safety First had one of the lowest safety ratings there was. The Graco Snugride I don't think has received any updates, as compared to competitors that have added new side impact technology, etc. At any rate, things do change ... and I wouldn't dismiss Graco completely. It's still a safe seat overall (was the among the highest rated safe seats 7 years ago). But newer seats are faring better right now. I just don't think I'd dismiss the Graco as unsafe, regardless of the consumer reports ratings. Their ratings of comparison. My seat is 7 years old, so I need a new one ... and am seriously leaning toward the Britax (I have a big car so the bigger size is not a great concern to me). Also Britax just released a new infant car seat (so no Consumer Reports info available), that is a bit smaller than the Britax Chaperone (for smaller vehicles). Based on Britax record of safety for all their seats, I'm ok with the new seat even w/o a lot of third-party ratings. I'm trying to decide between the two Britax seats ... or I might go with the Chicco, but at that cost, I'd rather get the Britax I think.

Anyway, my point is that Consumer Reports is not always a great tool if you just look at the list. You have to look at the individual ratings, and I always recommend user reviews of the products.

I had to buy a new washer / dryer in January and of course checked out Consumer Reports for some initial research. The highest rated and most recommended washer / dryer from consumer reports had HORRIBLE user reviews from almost all users. But the second washer / dryer on the list, while not receiving as great a review from Consumer Reports, had FABULOUS user reviews from all but one user.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 3:10pm
I agree the rating score can be misleading if that's all you look at, but it is broken down into several categories. Crash protection is the most important, imo, and graco rates lower than the others in that category...but their prices aren't significantly lower. I also noticed that he peg perego and a couple others that were previously highly rated are now not rated as high but I didn't dig into the info to see if I could find out why. Things change, I guess. Hopefully none of us have to find out first hand what our seats do in an actual crash but the info that is out there is all we have to go on. I agree with you on user reviews, esp on appliances...I bought a whirlpool dishwasher a year ago and regret not getting the Bosch everyone rated highly. Live and learn.
baby
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-07-2011 - 5:07pm
thank you for the advice/opinions. My biggest problem with the safety 1st is that it doesn't fit properly in my single and my double stroller,like the graco does. would have to use additional get me by straps to get it secure in the strollers. I definitely know safety is #1 priority. Ilike the safety 1st would last longer before the baby grows out of it in size. If they could just put the fabric from the graco on the safety 1st, and make the safety 1st work in my strollers properly! It's so frustrating.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-08-2011 - 6:53pm
Based on the fact that you need it to fit in your stroller and you like the print better, I would go with the Graco. The safest seat is the one that is installed properly and fits in your car properly. The Safety 1st might have better crash test ratings than the Graco, but the best way to keep your baby safe in the car is to install the seat properly and drive defensively (and strap the baby in correctly). There are lots of little risks every person takes every day, and choosing a "less safe" car seat does not make you a bad mother. ALL car seats must meet certain standards for safety, and I would personally feel comfortable with any of them on the market...I just don't necessarily want to deal with certain ones for other reasons (difficulty installing, difficulty adjusting, etc.)
Photobucket