Ummmm....... News and Now What??

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-12-2004
Ummmm....... News and Now What??
4
Thu, 05-12-2011 - 9:25pm

First of all, the biggest news is that SO and I finally told all of the kids.

iVillage Member
Registered: 06-19-1999
Fri, 05-13-2011 - 4:23am
That's great the kids all took the baby news ok! Sounds like fun looking for a new bigger place together! I am the same way with labor. I have extremely quick labors. I go from nothing to severe contractions within 10 mins! We are 20 mins from the hospital also. It is a worry for me since every labor has been quicker. I think when the time comes I'll decide if to get induced, or hope for the best that I and/or husband will get to the hospital in time. I've been so lucky to go into labor on the weekends when he is off work so far. I would have to agree being induced would be better than having baby in the car :) Good luck deciding on that, I'm in the same boat...not sure of other options

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

   &

iVillage Member
Registered: 12-04-2009
Fri, 05-13-2011 - 10:32am
We're supposed to move, too, before baby is due. Currently our hospital is only 20 minutes away, but once we move it will be 40 minutes away. We're just going to wing it. But I'm also trying for a VBAC and have been told that the longer I wait to go to a hospital the better my chances. Good luck in your decision!
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-12-2006
Fri, 05-13-2011 - 5:10pm
Congrats on all the GREAT news !

I can only offer limited advice. My first baby was born in 5 1/2 hours. I was pretty worried about my 2nd and got to the hospital pretty quickly. But she took 4 1/2 -5 hours. So I think this baby will probably be 4-5 hours too.

Personally, I'm not afraid of home birth if that's what happens - or really of delivering in the car, so I wouldn't make any special arrangements. I'm opposed (for me personally) to non-medical inductions, so I'm sort of a, "I'll take my chances kind of girl"

One thing I might consider in your situation, is near the end of your pregnancy having your doc / midwife check your cervix (not to strip membranes, literally just to check it). It's not a guarantee of anything ... but I did have a friend that kept have contrx but they always ended and she never went to the hospital. Based on this history, her doc checked her at what was her last appt - and she was 8+ cm, so they sent her to the hospital to have her water broken (sadly this didn't end well but with a c-section but that's another story).

I've always been 2 cm a few days before my labor ... and I actually don't like to be checked but have been for various reasons w/ both babies. But 2 cm on Wednesday - babies born on Saturday in a few short hours. So dilation means nothing really unless you really are 8 cm, at which point you could at least opt for having your water broken in the hospital.

Ultimately, I think you just have to be comfortable with the situation. If you're comfortable with being induced, that might give you a bit more control. If you really want to avoid it ... there's a good chance your labors won't get that much shorter than what the last one was (at least that's what was explained to me by midwife). But clearly, there is a risk. Babies are born unexpectedly in unexpected places.

Any chance someone nearby could drive you to the hospital when you go into labor and if DH is at work, he just meets you there, as opposed to waiting on him to drive home and then back to the hospital. Seems that might shorten it 20 minutes or so ...

Good luck!

iVillage Member
Registered: 11-27-2010
Tue, 05-17-2011 - 5:13pm

Great to hear all went well there's nothing better then all the kids being on the same page. This baby will also bring the kids closer together.

I actually take forever to deliver and my labor ohhhh boy even longer. You would think it would go faster since I had four already. Fingers crossed :o)