Warning: Sandbox Sand

iVillage Member
Warning: Sandbox Sand
Tue, 05-10-2011 - 4:22pm

I'm posting this everywhere because I think it's really important.

• So we bought Emily this great Oak sandbox for $200 (not an eyesore) and were going to buy sand from Lowes called Play Sand which is made for sandboxes. It turns out it is full of asbestos and silicone, yeah and this is the "safe sand". The only sand that is truly safe and free of all that stuff is sold online and is about $450 with shipping to fill up an averge size sandbox. So... for all of you thinking about buying a sandbox for the little ones to play in during the summer, make sure you get the asbestos and silicone free sand or you could be looking at cancer an emphysema down the line... SCARY!!! So our little cheap summer toy has now turned into a $650 investment, ack!!!!
  • Photobucket
    iVillage Member
    Tue, 05-10-2011 - 6:56pm
    While I'm not one to argue the safety of these kinds of things (I tend to err on the side of caution and would spend $450 to get "safe" sand), the reality is that most play sand is not considered dangerous, despite the "possible" presence of these particles ... the particles in sand are naturally occurring. Sand is made by crushing quartz, and these things can exist in naturally occurring quartz. It's essentially the same sand you find on a white, sandy beach.

Here's more: http://www.safbaby.com/is-crystalline-silica-and-asbestos-in-play-sand-harmful

According to the above site, most sand is considered safe. If you can find clean, coarse brown sand is best. In fact, the coarser, the better ... bigger particles are less likely to be inhaled.

HTH
    iVillage Member
    Tue, 05-10-2011 - 6:57pm

http://www.safbaby.com/is-crystalline-silica-and-asbestos-in-play-sand-harmful

The sand doesn't contain particles small enough to be breathed in.

baby
    iVillage Member
    Tue, 05-10-2011 - 7:44pm
    There have been accounts of children getting metal in their eyes from the sand and magnets pick up metals from it. We looked in a bag at Lowes, the one with the kid in the sandbox, and it said it contained asbestos, lead and silicone just to name a few.
    Photobucket
    iVillage Member
    Tue, 05-10-2011 - 7:46pm
    Hmm... I think that dr works for the sand company :)
    Photobucket