What do you drive?

iVillage Member
What do you drive?
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 2:46pm

I'm trying to convince my husband to let me trade my Pathfinder in on a minivan.

baby

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 2:54pm

I have a 2001 town and country. I loveeeeeee it! We actually just bought it about a month ago. We traded in our dodge neon (which I HATED). Obviously it isn't brand new but you'd never know it. The interior/exterior is perfect and it has the automatic sliding doors and hatch. Which is SO great when you have your hands full with groceries or kids lol. We got it because there was literally NO way both kids were going to fit in the back of that dinky little car. I love taking DD places now because we all have so much room and she can actually enjoy the trip. If you really look around you can find great minivans for a great price. We searched for a while before picking this one. Just do your research and take a good look at EVERYTHING before you decide to buy it. Its so easy to miss things when you're in that excited stage of finding a new car. (Trust me...been there...done that). Good luck! My DH made fun of the fact we'd be a "minivan family" but now he loves it to death lol.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 3:04pm
Yeah...my SUV was expensive when I got it...and it was used. Gas prices were down, demand for SUV's was back up after being low for a while, and there weren't many on the market because they didn't produce a lot of them from 05-07 when gas prices were high and nobody wanted one. We traded a Dodge Magnum, a Nissan Sentra in great shape, (low miles on both cars), and $3,000 cash. In retrospect, we should've waited, but we thought the Dodge was about to start having some problems. Will never own another Dodge again as long as we live!!! Now the Pathfinder is only worth about $16-17k on trade-in, so it would be a big loss to trade it after less than 3 years. Especially since my husband currently needs a new truck. He's driving the one he bought right out of college 14 years ago and it's on its last leg.
baby
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 3:30pm
We have a 2006 Honda Odyssey that we bought when it was brand new. I love it!! You don't feel like you're driving a van, drives more like a car (tight) if that makes any sense. We were going to buy a used minivan, but yes all the used vans had a lot of miles and we realized the small price difference was worth getting new. Of course the economy has changed since 2006, so I don't know what the market is right now for used/new. 5 years later our van only has 20K miles on it! It's my vehicle and I don't have to drive much. I agree, kids are not kind on van interiors, we try, but it's hard to keep track of what goes on in the back row and such. I agree, the automatic sliding doors are amazing, wouldn't want to go without them again. btw, we went from a pathfinder type vehicle to the odyssey, and it was totally worth the change.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 6:50pm
I have a honda cr-v..i need a vehicle that has AWD or 4WD for work...so that one was the best option for us at the time. i didn't want anything bigger - and honestly it's perfect. DH has a honda pilot - so between the 2 we have plenty of room. both of which we got new (first time ever doing that)...but it was worth it because we've gotten such good use out of them so far and hope to have them both for at least another 5 - 8 years...they'll be so ghetto by then haha.
 BabyFetus Ticker

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 7:46pm

I have a Toyota Highlander Hybrid and while it's not huge, it will fit the two car seats. I am a little worried about fitting a double BOB in the trunk however. My parents tol me last weekend I should get a minivan and I just can't do it. I might end up getting a Tahoe or a Volvo SUV. Going to check out cars this weekend :)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-23-2011 - 8:19pm
We bought a 2011 Toyota Sequoia last September when we knew we were going to start trying. DH has a truck and I have an accord and neither were particularly family friendly when you also have two dogs to transport. We had a bunch of family visiting and everyone couldn't fit in one car so we ended up buying the vehicle a little earlier than planned. It's been about a year and has <5k miles on it currently. I expect that to change once it becomes a primary vehicle when the little guy is here.

I really, *really* didn't want a minivan and I wanted a vehicle with 3 fully functional rows of seating (in Honda or Toyota) so our only two real choices considered were the Pilot or the Sequoia. I liked the Pilot a lot but ultimately the Sequoia won out. It's huge but super easy to drive and there is plenty of room for 7 people (we have captains chairs in the center) plus our two dogs in the back. I know a bunch of people with mid size SUV's and while some have a 3rd row it isn't really functional for anyone but small children who are old enough to buckle themselves, trying to squeeze back there is tight!

Melissa

PS-Gas mileage isn't that great for sure. I think we avg 14-17mpg. We wanted 4wd for the winter and we also needed something that could tow our boat (not huge or heavy but a highlander has too low of a rating). Gas mileage was a big reason we decided to keep the Accord and not trade it in. It isn't worth much anymore since it's a 2001 but there's nothing wrong with it and it gets 25-28mpg so it's pretty good for commuting or just running around.

Melissa
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 1:48pm
Currently I drive (and LOVE) my six-speed manual transmission Acura TL w/ sports package. Before I had kids, I drove a Mazda Miata, and I loved it. I really didn't want to give up fun driving and cars just because of a baby, so when my first was born, I bought an Acura-TL w/ the sports package. And we searched the country for the manual transmission (drove 8 hours to get it) so that I could truly enjoy driving a "sports sedan".

When my 2nd was born, she still fit just fine in my car, but we could no longer take other guests in our car with our family. So we bought as used Chevy Tahoe to have as a family vehicle, but I still drive my TL daily when it's just us. It fits our family and then when grandparents want to go with us, we can drive the Tahoe.

Now with baby #3, I can't really safely fit everyone in my Acura TL (my older DD would have to ride in the front seat) and then my DH couldn't go with us. So, I am moving to drive the Tahoe full time. My DH will start driving my beloved TL. Eventually we're going to replace the Acura TL (when we've saved the money) with a smaller SUV / crossover (most likely a GMC arcadia, Acura MDX, or BMW X5). Then we'll have 7 passenger seating in both cars, which will be ideal for us.
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 2:55pm

I drive a 2011 Chevy Traverse and I absolutely LOVE the thing!! If you can love a vehicle that is: ) I love that it isn't a minivan...haha. It was between a Traverse and a Tahoe but we already have a brand new Chevy Silverado extended cab, and I didn't want 2 gas guzzlers in the family if that makes sense. I have the traverse with bench seats but you can buy them with buckets just like a minivan. We may trade up to one of those, but honestly I'd rather have 7 total seats than 6. My DH (6''1' 200 pounds) and his dad who is about the same size both fit in the rear seats and said it wasn't a bad ride and more comfortable than our Durang. With this little one coming, we are going to move both DD and DS to the rear seat and put baby right behind the drivers seat. That way I can leave the single side seat on the passenger seat either folded up or out completely and DD and DS can just climb straight on back.

By the way, we use to drive a P-Finder and loved it but when we went to look at something new, we were dissapointed in the lack of room in the new P-Finders. LOVE LOVE LOVE Armadas though, if it weren't for the gas!!

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 7:47pm
I drive a '99 Acura TL. Two car seats will fit fine in the back seat, although I have yet to test whether or not I'll be able to keep my DS1 FF. He will be almost 2 when this baby is born, so it's not a HUGE deal if I can't.

My mom is going to get a new minivan soon, and she's GIVING me her 2000 Toyota Sienna. It's in great shape and I'm really excited about all the extra room we'll have, despite the fact that I never thought I would be the minivan mom! Only problem is that I have no idea when she's getting the new van :-/ She hinted that it would be when she started drawing SS...and I imagine maybe that will happen on what would have been my dad's 62nd birthday at the end of August?
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-25-2011 - 8:47pm
In 06 we bought the year Town and Country. We have four children and they all fit nice and comfy. I am however looking forward till next year when I will be getting something else. Dh drives his rodeo and there's no room in there. My van is great but I can't wait.

Pages