Any breastfeeding moms started menstruating already?

iVillage Member
Any breastfeeding moms started menstruating already?
Sat, 10-22-2011 - 4:22pm

I'm pumping breast milk but not nearly as often as I was, and I have been supplementing with formula during this growth spurt he's having right now.

baby
iVillage Member

Had the same question last week... 3 mos out... I breastfeed on demand and this is my fourth.

iVillage Member
LAM = Lactational Amenorrhea Method of birth control

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html
iVillage Member

No!

Photobucket

iVillage Member

What is LAM??

Photobucket

iVillage Member
I am an extended breastfeeder (both my older babies have breastfed well past their 3rd birthdays). With both of my older babies, my cycles didn't return until 19 mos pp. I hope I get that long a break this time too, but this baby is a better sleeper and nurses much less at night. Plus, she actually takes bottles more regularly (at least 3X / week). They are expressed breast milk but because we know LAM is less effective even when mom is pumping and putting her milk in bottles ... I think maybe it all adds up to an earlier return of AF. How much earlier? I don't know. But 1 1/2 years again would really be nice!
iVillage Member
same with me...it came back 2 months pp....just like with all my other kids!

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Mine did - AF comes back for me around 6-7 weeks PP with all four of my kids. I have never used formula and breastfeed on demand. This time I bled for 4 weeks PP stopped, had my right ovary hurt bad for two days then it let up which i assume was ovulation and 10 days later AF showed up right around 6 weeks PP. In the past I have had regular cycles for the first few months and then I will go for about a 3 month stretch without any till they return normal again! I asked my doctor about it and she was surprised since I am normal to thin weight (I guess if you are heavier you fat cells hold more hormones which can bring on AF), but she just laughter it off like it was not common but happens - lucky me:)
iVillage Member
Not yet, and I hope it stays away at least as long as it did with my ODS! It came back 9mos pp last time. He had been STTN since 5.5mos. I read that the number of nursing sessions are actually more likely to affect your menstrual cycle than the frequency, so it's not surprising that it would come back once you've cut back on pumping.
Photobucket