Anyone planning on asking for early discharge?

iVillage Member
Anyone planning on asking for early discharge?
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 9:03am
I've known some supermoms who try to get out of the hospital asap. The first time I didn't really even contemplate this bc it was my first and she was in for an extended stay in the Nicu. Now that I have a 3 year old at home, I feel like if all goes well with me and bsby then I.should get out asap not just the customary 3 days the insurance will.cover. Anyone else?
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 10:50am

I would like to spend less time in the hospital this time (especially since I have already put in some time there already.) However, I am not going to make any decisions until the baby is here.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 1:38pm

me, me, me!

I had a c-section with DS on a Tuesday, and was asked if I wanted to leave on Thursday.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 2:32pm

I guess that I'm the odd-ball in the group so far: ) : )

I don't mind being in the hospital, in fact, I would like to stay as long as possible!! I think that I know what I have waiting for me at home, and want to be as well-rested as I can before I take-back my position: ) This time of year is EXTREMELY busy for DH work-wise, and I know he won't be able to take much time off work (maybe a day or 2) so I will take all the help I can get while I can get it. Don't get me wrong, I want to be home with my kiddos!! The reality is, I when I go home I'm back to being on my own with 3 kiddos!! As long as I have good nurses throughout, I don't mind staying until they release me. BUT I also plan on going-with-the-flow. If something was to come up and I wanted to go home right away, I would ask!!

~Crista~

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 3:25pm
My hospital only has me stay the standard 24 hours.... so I will definitely be staying the entire time.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 7:44pm
i'd LOVE to leave early. w/ ds i was induced on a thur morning..didn't have him until early friday morning...didn't get to go home until tuesday morning. so a total of 6 days in the hospital was FAAAAR too long for me.

i'm having a repeat c/s but if i can have the c/s on mon and be home by wed i'd be happy. but we'll see how recovery is. if i have to stay til fri then so be it - but i'd rather not.
 BabyFetus Ticker

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 7:46pm

I'm with Crista.

baby
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 10:48pm

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one: ) Lol...I LOVE the comfort of my own home, don't get me wrong! I also appreciated the help and quiet that came with being in the hospital. It's nice not having to worry about cooking or cleaning for just a couple days as you start your recovery. Both of my deliveries were vaginal, but with DD I had a 4th degree tear and had to stay an extra 2 days because of my bottom: ( It was comforting knowing if I needed anything, someone was right there: ) : )

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 2:04pm
With DD, from the time I checked in until I checked out was a total of about 36 hours. I wanted to get out asap. This time since she will be so young (15m) I plan to stay in longer so I can get started on BFing w/out worrying about also caring for her. We'll see though, I"m still open to leaving early.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 6:30pm
I won't be in any hurry to leave. I like not having to think about what I want to eat, it just shows up, to not have to cater to my other kids needs, grandma is there for that. This is a time that I can rest and bond with baby. Jinx myself, but I have yet to change a nasty meconium poop diaper, the nursery has always taken care of it for me. LOL
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-04-2011 - 12:12am
I could have been discharged at 24hrs, but our first night there my DS was coughing up and choking on mucus. I sent my DH home to be with our DS1 so i was all alone, and I was terrified! It happened 2 more times that night, and although they showed me what to do when it happened, I was really freaked out. I decided to stay 48hrs so that I wouldn't have to go through that again the next night. Luckily he had no more episodes, but I do not regret staying the extra night at all.
Photobucket