Breastfeeding issues

iVillage Member
Breastfeeding issues
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 3:11pm

So, my little one was born on August 5th via a c-section.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 3:36pm
I just went to the Lactation nurse today for this same issue :) I've been trying myself for the past two weeks, but finally went to see a pro since it's not much better. I nursed DD for 18 months without any problems much soreness, but this little guy has a lazy latch. We are still working on it, but this is what has helped so far:

1. hand express in hot shower or pump first thing after morning feeding to get rid of engorgement (I only had to do this for about a week).

2. change out breast pads frequently, use lanolin & motherlove nipple cream after every feeding.

3. take motrin a couple times a day to help with soreness :)

4. check out your nipples after nursing- if they are pinched looking, look like a tube of new lipstick, have a white line on the tip, or are just mis-shapen the latch is not right.

5. to get a good latch make sure you are tummy to tummy

6. support your breasts while they are engorged or if they are large- the LC really helped me by placing a rolled up receiving blanket under mine.

7. support baby's head right in front of the nipple & make sure baby opens really wide

8. start to latch by placing nipple in front of baby's nose, hold breast with one hand and then tuck the nipple in the mouth, as high in baby's mouth as possible and shove as much areola (the dark park of the breast) as you can.

9. If you are still sore, the latch hurts, or your nipple comes out a funny shape, un-latch baby and try again.

10. Good luck! The LC told me that sometimes we do everything right and baby just has to work on the latch. Hopefully as they get bigger, the latch will improve :) I feel your pain (literally, ha ha) and hope it gets better soon! Oh, I also found out that the boppy helps me with my right side, but not with my left and nursing while laying down makes his latch much more painful for some reason... I hope you find something that works for you! And if you do, keep me posted so I can try it too!

~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 4:46pm
Is your baby's tongue white? With DD I had painful nipples and she had a white tongue which are symptoms of thrush. I wish I had known then, instead of going weeks trying new latches. If baby has a white tongue and your nipple hurt (or even if their tongue is just white) go to the dr. It's not a life threatening thing, it's a yeast infection. Annoying, but heal-able.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 6:34pm
Do your nipples hurt the entire breastfeeding session or just when she latches? My nipples hurt like crazy when my DS latches, but once I pull his lips out it's fine the rest of the time. For me personally, I think it's just going to take some time for my nipples to get used to being molested. Also, my nipples rarely come out the right shape. I've tried hard to get him latched properly, but I have pretty large nipples and I think he's just going to have to grow a little more before they fit properly in his mouth! He has good milk transfer--gained 8oz in 5 days!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-12-2011 - 9:37am

Hi Deena,

You've already received a ton of great advice and I just wanted to share a link with you to the Breastfeeding Support: Ask the Lactation Consultant board here on iVillage. The board is another great place to find information and support from other knowledgeable mamas!

photo snowsiggy.png

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-12-2011 - 11:00am

doctor suggested ice packs and they really helped.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-13-2011 - 11:18am
Mine got torn to pieces by a cheap breast pump last time and it was so painful for him to latch that I couldn't tolerate it. A lactation consultant gave me a nipple shield and told me to use it until I healed. I did. Worked wonders. They are available at Target.
baby
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-13-2011 - 2:06pm
It does matter when your nipples hurt ... if it's only for a minute at latch on, it might just be transient tenderness, which can be normal. But if your nipples are tender throughout the feeding, are coming out misshapen or pinched, etc., as others have mentioned, then your latch is likely not right. An in person board certified lactation consultant is the best help you can get to correct an improper latch. But there are things you can do to work on it by yourself and Andrea gave you some really great tips.

The white tongue by itself is not particularly indicative of thrush ... babies can get milk tongue. But if you see white patches on the inside of the cheeks or if you notice a lot of burning in your breasts, thrush is a possibility.

I'm sorry I have a crying baby ... must run. Check out the breastfeeding / LC board. THEY'RE GREAT!!!! And can give you some links to info on achieving proper latch, etc.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-14-2011 - 2:38pm

Thank you ladies for all the great advice.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 7:22am

After you've BF, rub some of your BM around your nipples and let it air dry. It sounds crazy but the antibodies in BM will help your nipples heal faster. A LC suggested it with DD and it really works!

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-20-2011 - 12:26am

Mine is pretty bad right now.

baby