Natural birth

iVillage Member
Natural birth
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 1:19pm

So this is my second pregnancy and it is my goal to #1 have a VBAC and #2 have a non-medicated birth. My first birth was bad. My OB went through with my induction even though I had started contracting on my own. After 12+ hours I begged for an epidural. If there is a mom out there that can have Pitocin and give birth without an epidural, I am sending you a super mom cape.

I took hypnobirthing classes this time around. I've read as many books as I can get my hands on. I can't help but think that if I laster 12+ hours with pitocin contractions literally right on top of each other that I should be able to have a VBAC without medication.

But last night I woke up with practice contractions that were very uncomfortable and I had a seed of doubt planted in my head. I am ok if I decide during labor that I just can't do it and ask for an epi, but to doubt myself before it even starts seems silly.

So, BTDT natural birth moms and those that are planning on giving it a go this time...what is your plan of attack? What are you planning on doing or trying to make it through?

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 3:58pm
It's normal to doubt if can make it without an epidural. I think it's just the unknown of what each labor will be like. My labors are always fast and furious, I probably might as well have pitocin :) I've almost made it without epidural. The problem is my contractions are basically on top of each other wihtout a break between. I thought I would do it without an epidural this time, but now that it is any day , I'm doubting and feeling like giving in. Sorry I don't have much other advice. I was only thinking the later I get to the hospital the less chance of getting epidural.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 10:17pm
That's my plan too. Wait as long as I can. My MW was VERY supportive today when I talked with her about it, so I feel a bit better.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 10:47pm
Well with DS I had hard contractions for two days, they just never would be consistent or would end up stopping. So by the third day I told the midwife I can't take it anymore, break my water. As soon as my water was broken, I dilated from a 3 to 10 in an hour. Contractions were hard and fast. I walked, used the birthing ball, moaned, yelled. This time I plan on trying to use relaxation methods more and hope that helps. You'll do great.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-28-2011 - 10:53pm
Tonight I talked to a friend of mine who had natural childbirth with both her kids, and she said she did have Pitocin both times. I told her we'd send her a cape. She said she wasn't trying to be brave or whatever-- she was just that afraid of an epidural. lol
baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-29-2011 - 4:26pm

I was in early labor for a week and a half before Carlee finally came. It was h*ll I'm not gonna lie. I do however think it helped me prepare for a non-medicated birth. When I finally went in for the last time and she was born my labor progressed so fast I didn't have time for a epi. But I asked for one and the doctor was on her way to give it to me, just didn't have time. I'm not going to sugar coat it, it wasn't fun. It hurts, its uncomfortable and you desperately want it over. But if you can occupy your

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 7:41am
I just had my 3rd natural birth. My first two births were fast and intense ... 5 1/2 and 5 hours each. So people would always say ... well if you have short labors sure you can do a natural birth. But my 3rd was still all natural and 11 hours long. And it was actually about 1/2 as intense as the previous two ... this one was really ok right until it was time to start pushing (a phase of labor I don't handle that well).

For me, i have an edge in that I've already done it twice and I know I can do it. Some of my practice ctrx were pretty intense this time around, whereas Bh ctrx previously barely registered on my radar. But seriously labor was fine. They told me I was having ctrx registering 3 min on the monitor, but I was concentrating on relaxing ... I tend to tone through the toughest part and my DH works on keeping my body relaxed via massage, etc. Seriously the key is focusing on relaxation during and between ctrx ... if you're tense it makes them harder to get through.

Don't use the time between ctrx to dread the next one ... just relax. For me, as I said , I don't handle the pushing stage well ... this is the hardest part for me. But by that time there is truly no going back. You can't have an epidural and they won't give you other drugs at that point because of their effect on baby. So I just rely on procedure to get me through the end!!