Question about Formula

iVillage Member
Question about Formula
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 1:09pm

I am pumping breast milk and LO has been on that the entire time.

baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-09-2011 - 3:19pm
I hear ya about the soy! When I was swithching from breastfeeding to formula, I noticed she would get more constipated. I noticed she was more fussy too. I think it was because she was having to hold it in for longer periods of time, instead of going many times a day she was used to. after a week or two she was just fine, her body was used to it. So you may want to switch, or just give him more time to get used to it. she only usually spits up the normal amount, sometimes more when I realize I've probably overfed her a bit...when she was probably wanting to be held or a pacifer... mine uses the orange can of similac by the way.
Hope he feels better soon!

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-10-2011 - 2:03pm
Please don't mix the formula with the breast milk. It's ok to supplement with formula but it's very important that it be prepared per the directions on the can. Mixing it with breastmilk instead of water can be dangerous. Save your breastmilk for those bottles when he's only getting breastmilk.

Now if you mean you prepared the formula using water but then mixed the prepared formula and breastmilk together in one bottle, that is ok. Not dangerous. Still not a great idea though because if he doesn't finish the bottle you have to throw it out. Whereas a breastmilk bottle alone can be reheated one time within 24 hours. So still a generally good idea to keep formula and breastmilk separate just to avoid wasting any breastmilk.

Can't offer much advice on the type of formula though. I don't have a lot of experience there. Just know that some babies are spitters. Mine is breastfeeding. But she's a spitter. Lots of laundry. But she's otherwise fine.

HTH
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-10-2011 - 5:30pm
I didn't mix it with breastmilk instead of water. I just put a little formula in with a bottle of breastmilk. You can't reheat formula? I didn't know that. I don't think I've done it, but still good to know. Can I mix it ahead of time, stick it in the fridge, and heat it as I need it? That's what I've been doing with formula. I make a 4 or 6 ounce bottle before bed and put a couple of ounces in with his breast milk with each bottle. A few times he's had a bottle of just formula when my supply got really low.
baby
iVillage Member
Fri, 11-11-2011 - 9:16am
I'm not an expert on formula ...

I've never used it personally, and I only know what I've read. I've been told it has to be precisely mixed using the directions on the can to avoid potential health problems (messing with the electrolytes or levels of protein can be dangerous for baby ... potential kidney problems I believe). And I've always been told that formula has to be used quickly when mixed. This is why moms carry the powder and mix it on site rather than carry around prepared bottles the way breastfeeding moms who bottlefeed in public can. But I don't know if keeping it in the fridge slows down bacterial growth enough to make it safe. Breastmilk has antibacterial properties, and I believe that's one of the reasons it can be left out longer.

Found this link on another site (hope it's ok to post here). But it seems you can mix the formula and keep it refrigerated for up to 24 hours. But after that it has to be discarded. There's some other good info here about baby formula, especially if you're like me and don't know that much about it. HTH

http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-use-baby-formula-safely_1334673.bc
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-17-2011 - 3:39pm

I

~Andrea~ IMG_1563