Scared of big baby...not sure what to do...

iVillage Member
Scared of big baby...not sure what to do...
Wed, 08-03-2011 - 3:11pm

So I had my second ultrasound for weight/size yesterday, at 38 weeks 2 days, and the baby is now measuring in the 94% and 8lbs 13 oz.

BabyFetus Ticker

Pages

Community Leader
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 12:32pm
Hello ladies :) I am a lurker here (but CL of the TTC and BF'ing board and mama to 3 cuties!)....Just wondering if all doctors in the US do size ultrasounds near the end of your pregnancy? I have had 3 babies - 8.5 lbs (40 weeks)., 9lb.20z, (40 weeks) and 8lb.12oz (39 weeks) .....all vaginal deliveries with no issues and nobody ever wondered how big the baby was near the end of my pregnancy or questioned the ability to birth them due to size. Is this just standard procedure now or only some doctors do that? I live in Canada. No judgement here - just very curious about it.
Thanks! Good luck to you mamas all about to deliver!!!! We just had our #3 in April and am excited about the idea of 1 more already!:) Jasmine
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 8:36pm

They probably don't do it as routinely in Canada because of the way the health care system is run. LOL

just kidding...sort of.

baby
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 12:08am
I dont think its typically routine. A lot depends on the personality of the physician. It's not "standard of care" as defined by ACOG.
Community Leader
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 3:06am
Wow - um thanks?! Well not to turn this thread into a debate, but our health system is awesome despite the impression many Americans have of it. I have had 3 hospital births - once with a very good group of OB's, and 2 with a midwife. My midwife did all home visits for my prenatals and would come any time of day if I needed her. All of the pregnancy and labour/delivery were covered by MSP. I never saw a bill for anything but the hospital stay after our first was born (and most of it was covered by my husband's extended medical plan)I was able to chose my care provider without any restriction - including midwife, OB's, regular family doctor etc. All ultrasounds were covered by MSP - and I had many after doing IVF (which I did have to pay out of pocket for which seems pretty typical in the US too) - all bloodwork was covered (nuchal I did pay for as it is optional), my tube/dye test performed at hospital was covered. My point being that my care was and always has been awesome. I am always amazed at the bills many US mommies receive for things after their hospital stay and/or can't use the doctor /midwife they want because the insurance hasn't approved them.
Just wondering why your tone seems so insulting considering my question was one of genuine curiousity? Do you actually know anything about our system really? I was not criticizing - just wondering why we don't do it here and it seems standard procedure there. I guess you could say it is due to cost but the reverse could be said for doctors there - another billable charge for your insurance company? I had about 5 ultrasounds with my last pregnancy and if there were concerns, could have had more. Yes, our system has its flaws but not the ones you seem to be implying.
Anyways, thanks for the answer I guess.
To the original poster - I hope your birth goes well and no matter what your decision that your baby gets here safe and sound.
Jasmine
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 9:18am
It was a joke. Way to over react. Keep your drama on your board. We don't have any over here. ;)
baby
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 10:02am

I guess I took it as a joke too, don't think she was being insulting at all. But sorry you felt that way. And I think it just all depends on the Doctor. I personally think our doctors are way to into intervention of any kind but that could happen anywhere. I think sometimes our mom's are so impatient to have their babies that Dr.'s will find any reason to help them have the baby early. (Not the case with this particular post at all...just stating an opinion). I think that is a MAJOR difference between Dr.'s here and then elsewhere. In the US we are so use to such a fast-paced, get-what-you-want when-you-want-it lifestyle that I suppose it's the same with babies: )

But, like I said I don't think she was trying to be insulting at all...just a joke: ) : )

BabyFetus Ticker
Community Leader
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 11:31am
Thanks for your perspective and response. THere are likely doctors here who would do the same thing - I probably just haven't encountered one. As for my reaction to PP post, I guess I shouldn't stay up late and type when overtired :)
Good luck with your new baby and congrats!
Jasmine
Community Leader
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 11:33am
Well perhaps I did overreact - staying up too late and typing when overtired maybe. if you didn't mean it that way, then I am sorry. I have CL'd our board for over 4 years and I can assure you (as can our members) that there is never any drama on our board unless it is frustrated mamas trying to get that sometimes elusive BFP.
Good luck with your new baby.
Jasmine
Community Leader
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 11:36am
Interesting. I guess I was wondering if it was standard of care in general, and am pretty sure there must be some doctors here who do that too - just have not encountered them! Congrats on your new baby :)

Jasmine
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-08-2011 - 12:58pm

Don't feel bad: ) We all have our moments where we feel passionate about something and maybe overreact: ) : )

BabyFetus Ticker

Pages