Scared of big baby...not sure what to do...

iVillage Member
Scared of big baby...not sure what to do...
Wed, 08-03-2011 - 3:11pm

So I had my second ultrasound for weight/size yesterday, at 38 weeks 2 days, and the baby is now measuring in the 94% and 8lbs 13 oz.

BabyFetus Ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-03-2011 - 3:25pm

I am sorry that you are going through this: ( I'm not sure I can help, but I will give you my 2 cents for whatever it's worth.

I am a pretty teeny woman. I am 5'3'' and my normal weight is about 105-110 pounds. My DD was born at 40 weeks 1 day and was 8 pounds. I suffered a 4th tear from that delivery and it was at least 12 weeks of recovery time.

When I became pregnant with DS I had to find a new Dr. because the other had retired after DD was born. My new Dr. was very concerned about the tear that I had and really encouraged a C-Section. I was very honest with him and stood my ground and he respected my wants. I do believe that our bodies were made to birth our children. I also believe there is a HUGE amount of innaccuracy regarding ultrasounds and weight measurements. I have had many this pregnancy and at 35 weeks I was told that the marjin of error is a whole pound either way!! As you get further along, it's a 2 pound difference. So if they tell you at 38 weeks your baby is 8 pounds, it could be 6 and it could be 10!! That's a major difference!

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-03-2011 - 3:31pm
I am small framed 5'3" 110lbs when not pre pregnancy and I have delivered a 7lb 14oz, 8lb 1oz and 9lb baby without trouble. My doctor did not even know I was having such a big baby till he came out! He did tear me pretty good but I have healed fine! I am hoping this one is closer to 8lbs and not 9 but either way I trust my body! The worst thing you can do is be scared. Relax, trust your body, fear will only tighten everything up making it harder - focus on relaxing. I am all for natural birth so I would not recommend a c-section - if you so a natural birth try different positions to help the baby move down and if your doctor will let you even pushing any way but on your back can help! A lot depends on your doctor but don't let a big baby scare you!
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-03-2011 - 3:40pm

Crista, thanks for your response, it's reassuring and ascary at the same time.

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-03-2011 - 5:11pm

I could have written your post.

baby
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-03-2011 - 5:53pm
I would say, go with your gut. Do you feel this baby is going to be that much bigger? Do you have doubt you can push this babay out? There are women who are not huge that have 9lbs + babies without complications. I am also being told my baby is bigger, but I am the same size as I was with DS and he was 8.2 lbs just long 21.5". So we shall see how big this baby truly is. Go with your instincts, you'll make the right decision.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-03-2011 - 8:23pm
Not sure if you have a doula lined up or not, but I would highly recommend it in your situation.

FWIW, I just delivered a baby that was nearly 1 1/2 lbs bigger than either of my other babies. My labor was longer but I actually seemed to have more control during the pushing phase ... except that I also was worn out and really had to reach deep down to find the energy to do it.

Anyway, my DH is a foot taller and 100 lbs bigger than I am ... so we're pretty "mismatched" too.

I do have a friend whose baby was delivered by a midwife (baby was 10 lbs) and she did experience shoulder dystocia with her 2nd baby. But the midwife was excellent. Got her flipped into a better position and did manage to get the baby out ... no rehab needed. But midwives are better trained for that kind of thing that OBs who often are more medical and less finesse. And for that reason, I think a doula might be useful.

If you really end up in a tight / touch situation, squatting (which you can't do with an epidural) opens the pelvis by another 2 cm ... which is huge when you're talking about pushing out a baby.

I haven't had an epidural with any of my 3 babies and with my OB didn't find I had a lot of options when it came to pushing. My 2nd baby I did deliver in a pseudo squatting position. This baby I wanted to squat to help speed things up but was too exhausted to do it effectively and ended up delivering in a semi-reclining position with my midwife applying pressure to my perineum to help me focus my pushing efforts.

My point is that in a million years I would not have dreamed that I could have delivered a 7 1/2 lb baby (I know this is not big by many standards but my last baby - full term at birth - was 5 lbs 13 oz, and I tore delivering her). I actually almost made it through this birth w/o a tear and probably would have but my DD had her hand on her face (so I delivered her head and her hand / arm) and she was side lying (less than ideal position for delivery). In the end I tore when her elbow popped out.

You can do it!!
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-03-2011 - 9:35pm

I see the problem now with the shoulder thing: ) I suppose to can't go back when the head is already out can you?!

I think that my 4th degree tear had little to do with the babies size and TONS to do with the circumstances. For starters, she was my first...paving the way I suppose. I felt very out of control because I don't think I had educated myself very much on the birthing process. I gave in and had an epidural because I was having back labor and just couldn't take it any longer. I had a couple nurses who were "training" and really seemed like they had no idea what they were doing. They had me pushing for over 3 hours with NOTHING happening...I shouldn't have been pushing yet!!! My Dr. was very upset when he came in and found that out. So then, because I was pushing for so long the baby started to get distressed...then I was worried...then the cord had to be cut while she was still inside of me because it got tangled around her head...then I couldn't puch her out so the Dr. had to use the vacuum!! It was a terrible (but awesome because it was a birth) experience that ended badly for me. DD was 10 shades of purple when she finally was pulled out: (

And like I said, I went on to have an AMAZING delivery with my son who was over half a pound bigger!! No tears at all and no problems! What a huge difference...

I just think you need to focus on what you are comfortable with. You don't have to decide today...educate yourself as much as possible and then figure out what is right for you. Don't get me wrong, I completely repsect my Dr. but I also know that his opinions aren't always the right approach for me. For example, today at my appointment he said he was going to sweep my membranes and I said no. I think it took him by surprise but I still said no and that was that. Nothing wrong with disagreeing and there's nothing wrong with taking the Dr's advice as long as you feel it's best for you and not like you are just going with it: ) : )

You are definately in my thoughts, I really hope you have a wonderful delivery and look back and smile at these days. I know I do when I think of how worried I was with DS but how awesome it turned out!! Definately better than I ever expected!!

Oh and just for fun...my older sister (38 at the time) delivered her 4th at home in a tub and he was over 10 pounds!!! She didn't tear and did awesome with no meds!! Her body made a big baby and did what it needed!!

Good luck...keep us posted!!

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 8:18pm
My OBs were stressing me out because I had GD and DS was measuring 9 lbs at my 38 week u/s. He was born 9 lbs 4 oz at 39 w 1 and I had no problems whatsoever. I did read that the biggest predictor of having a c-section for this was not if the mother felt the baby was big, not if the baby actually was big, but how big the OB perceived the baby to be.

I spoke with many of the nurses and midwives in the practice and found out that the OB that stressed me out was not as experienced and would push me to have a c-section & shatter my confidence (which he did to a point). I also found out that a different OB was much better suited to me. She told me that I would be just fine- the risks of a c-section outweigh the risks of shoulder dystocia, and that she was comfortable delivering big babies & those with shoulder dystocia by using different manuevers and positions.

When they made my induction, I spoke with the nurses, making sure the OB I liked was on call. The one perk to having an induction :) Anyway- like someone else said- believe you can deliver the baby your body made. Be calm during labor and trust your body and remember the birth canal is a muscle- the more tense you are, the less your muscles can relax and the tighter the space for the baby to come out... Good luck and keep us posted :) You can do it!
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-06-2011 - 10:53pm
I'm lurking from the Nov EC but just wanted to say your situation sounds a LOT like it was with my DS back in '08. They told me he was going to be a BIG baby too, and pushed me into a csection because of the shoulder dystocia. They even gave me the same line, that even if the U/S measurements are wrong, they will only be off by 10% so he would still be over 8lbs, possibly as big as 10lb. He was delivered by csection, and while my recovery by csection was actually really good, he only weighed 7 lb 10 oz. Way under even their 10% margin of error. I don't believe those numbers at all and am going into my 2nd with that thought in mind. I'd second what PP have said and say, go with your gut, not what the U/S and Dr say for how big the baby is. Good luck with your soon to be here little one, whatever decision you make!
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-07-2011 - 11:10am

Thanks for the responses, everybody.

BabyFetus Ticker

Pages