Strip Membranes and/or Breaking Water by Doctor

iVillage Member
Strip Membranes and/or Breaking Water by Doctor
Mon, 08-22-2011 - 8:49am

Last Friday at my 39 week appt. the doctor said that if I hadn't delivered by my next appointment, that if I wanted her to, she would strip my membranes and/or Break my water if "conditions" were favorable.

With DS#1 they had to break my water for me.

iVillage Member
At my appt, 1 day before my due date, the dr checked me and 'stretched' my cervix to 'get things going' as she said. I think it helped because that night my mucus plug started to come out, but it wasnt until the following night that i actually went into labor. Who knew riding in the car would bring on labor?!?
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
iVillage Member
Membrane stripping did nothing for me other than make me spot. When they broke my water, I was checked into L&D before they did it.. Labor started about 2 hours after my water was broken.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member

I had my membranes stripped today. It was really uncomfortable while it was happening, but it wasn't painful. Maybe it took 30 seconds? I just wanted her to hurry up and be done.

Nothing is happening. That was about 5 hours ago (still too soon to tell, I think)

iVillage Member

Here from the July board... already had my little mister but I can offer some experience...

Water breaking (no pain meds for any of this):

The doctor broke my water for my second and third pregnancies. It broke on its own for my first and fourth.

iVillage Member
Oh also on your water breaking.....labor is a lot more painful once your water breaks...if you are trying to go natural I would not recommend having your water broken to start things off! My first my water broke to start labor and the contractions started hard right away, with my second my doctor broke my water when we go to the hospital in labor and I wish she had not as the contractions got so much worse and I was progressing fine - with my third I told her no to breaking my water and it was easier to manage the pain. I think the water provides a cushion for the baby and helps decrease some pain!
iVillage Member
I had my membranes stripped for two of my babies - the first one did not hurt to much but the second one hurt a lot but only lasted for a couple seconds - both times I went into labor within 24 hours - first time my water broke early that next morning and next one brought on contractions for a day and labor 24 hours after exam. Both were done right around a due date so my body must have been ready!
iVillage Member

I may be getting the membrane stripping done tomorrow. I've never had it done, but I will let you know my experience.

And I've also had abnormal paps and procedures, so I am hoping that prepares me for any discomfort.