30 week u/s & appointment - concerns for natural birth

iVillage Member
30 week u/s & appointment - concerns for natural birth
Wed, 06-15-2011 - 9:43am

We had our 30 week ultrasound on Monday and were surprised with a 4D picture! I didn't know it, but apparently the place we go to has u/s machines equipped with that feature. I don't think they do actual 4D u/s's but they kinda took a picture of DD in regular u/s mode and then turned it into a 4D pic. It was very cool. Everything looks good, she's measuring right on track and weighs just about 3 lbs :-) But she is still breech, which worries me. I know she has plenty of time to turn yet, but it would make me feel better if she'd just do it already! lol.

I had my 30 week check-up yesterday. Again, everything looked pretty good. I actually lost a pound, which I was really surprised by because I feel like I haven't been eating the best lately (we're in the process of moving and with the dishes packed were eating out a lot) and because the baby is certainly still gaining weight! The Dr seemed unconcerned though, probably because I am overweight to start so she only wanted me to gain about 15 lbs total. I'm up 11 lbs so far.

This was the first visit I brought up the labor/delivery process and started asking questions. Let's just say the responses were... a little less than reassuring :-\ We are taking Bradley classes and really want a natural birth. My OB said that that was ok, but to just realize that sometimes the way they do things and the Bradley Method "can have a hard time meshing". I specifically asked about IV use (I really don't want to be hooked up to fluids as soon as I get there) and she said that putting in an IV is something that they don't budge on. They won't hook you up right away, but they do put in the access right away so they can hook you up if they feel you need something (fluids, antibiotics, etc.). Their policy is also that the baby has to be monitored 20 mins out of every hour, which... While better than constant monitoring...I still feel like is a lot. I'm really way more nervous at this point that I'm going to be pushed into having a birthing experience that I don't want than I am about the actual labor/birth itself! We really can't afford a doula, but yesterday after the appointment was the first time I really considered it. I think my plan for now is just to labor as long as I can at home so I'll have to spend less time in the hospital and they will have less chance to intervene. I'm just afraid that once I get there, I'm going to be too distracted or they will scare me into having things done that aren't really necessary :-\

iVillage Member
That's good you found midwives that deliver at the hospital. That is what I have done 3 out of 4 of my kids. The one time i delivered with a dr...he woke up from a nap just in time to catch the baby. It all worked out ok, because the hospital nurses are usually very helpful while the dr isn't there yet. I have a midwife this time delivering at the hospital...they do have a dr on-call of something goes wrong though.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Thanks for all the good advice ladies! I started researching midwives yesterday. I actually found a practice that delivers at a hospital, which I think I'd be more comfortable with than a birthing center especially since this is my first pregnancy. I'm definitely writing a birth plan and going over it with my doctors (I hadn't planned to do that before, my dr's office said it was "unneccessary", maybe that should have been the first red flag)... if this next appointment is as disappointing as the last one then I will definitely be making a phone call about switching.
iVillage Member
I think it can be important to remind your physician that you are the patient. You have rights. And your opinion does matter.

It is very common practice (in fact almost unheard of - unless w/ a midwife or at a birthing center) for them to place a hep-lock immediately (the IV port). But unless there is a need for antibiotics (GBS positive), there is absolutely no reason for them to have to give you any fluids during labor.

Many hospitals will allow you to drink clear fluids as needed. Others allow only ice chips. Either way, you do not need IV fluids for hydration. If you're not having pitocin, etc., there's just not a need.

One thing to keep in mind - and you talk about this in Bradley - is that you can make them tell you what they are doing and why at every step of the why. It is your right. You can then decline or suggest an alternative - even discuss why they feel that's necessary, what are the alternatives, what are the risks in waiting, etc.

My first was born in a hospital where natural births were relatively uncommon. And while I did end up w/ an episiotomy, ended up being continuously monitored, etc., I did still have a natural birth. I did choose a midwife for my second birth, but overall, I felt pretty ok about my first birth experience.

The best thing you can do is educate yourself so that they can't terrorize you into decisions that you might regret later. If you're knowledgable you can at least ask educated questions, which will allow you to make a relatively informed decision at every turn.
Hang in there.
iVillage Member

Unfortunetly, I think my advice is going to be unpopular, but I feel compelled to post it anyway.

It is a great idea to have a birth plan and go into labor and delivery with an idea of how you would like this to go.

iVillage Member

Hi from over in the July board...

I just wanted to say, "dont lose hope!" When I was pregnant with my first, they had a nurse do the intake questions.

iVillage Member
I totally understand your concerns. I think waiting and laboring at home as long as you can is an excellent idea. One thing I might have done differently the first time is not let them break my water right away. Knowing that if I hadn't progressed like I did, I could have ended up in c-section after so long because of it. Had I not let them break my water, I would have been able to go back home or whatever if not progressing. Thinking back I'm thankful things turned out as they did! Hope your little one turns head down for you to put less stress/worry on you. Mine keeps flipping head up/down, it's stressing me out!

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member

I've had similar issues, so I decided to hire a doula that was very highly recommended by my boss. She only charges $300, which I think is well worth it. I know other doulas may charge more, so it would be wise to ask around.

iVillage Member
I don't want to upset you, but I'd look into calling a midwife to see if you can switch over to them. While somethings can be considered for safety sake (like putting the iv in your arm) other policies (monitoring 20 minutes of every hour) are excessive.

I switched to a midwife for care for this baby after having an OB for my last. My experience has been awesome. They don't do anything unnecessarily. No extra monitoring. No extra internal exams, etc. I know it's late in the game and some mdiwifes wont' let you switch care, but some (like my practice) will. Let them know your concerns with your current OB. In my opinion having a midwife is better than a doula because you eliminate the OB.