36 week appointment update

iVillage Member
36 week appointment update
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 8:27pm

My non-stress test was good & ultrasound showed my fluid levels were high and baby measures at 38w5d & 8 lbs!

~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-30-2011 - 9:33pm
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. If they do want to induce (and you're up for it) you might see if you can find an accupuncturist in your area. Accupuncture / accupressure can actually be a really good way to induce labor in a more natural way.

Also, if you are going to be induced - and you know ahead of time - go ahead and call an LC (IBCLC) and discuss your concerns. They can probably give you some good tips for doing what you can to get nursing off to a great start - regardless of how challenging the beginning circumstances.

Also, you're very knowledgable, so you're not as likely to fall into the same problems that some moms can fall into ... you're baby's big so we have to give him / her formula, etc. Did you have an unmedicated birth last time? It's really the drugs in the epidural that can cause a sleepy baby / discoordinated suck in some cases. So induction alone probably wouldn't increase the concerns w/ breastfeeding (other than the increased risk for c-section). Obviously insist they leave baby with you and work to get baby to the breast as quickly as possible.

I know you're concerned, but from what I've read, I think you'll do just fine :-) I'm pretty sure you know how to advocate yourself - especially when it comes to nursing (although military hospitals can certainly be a challenging place).
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 8:45am

Glad to hear that your numbers are good.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 1:33pm
Oh thanks! I completely forgot about accupuncture, and I'm defnitely up for trying that before a medical induction :) I'm going to a LLL meeting this coming Tuesday so I'm hoping it will be a great support group for me. The LC at the hospital where I'll deliver is really just a lactation counselor and doesn't seem to be all that up-to-date on things when I ask her questions...she is there weekdays from 9-5 only so I am glad the LLL here seems pretty active and just started a new meeting time that works for me :) And thanks for the confidence in me! I know I should not worry, but it is getting so close and real now. I just feel like the more I prepare for the worst case scenario, the less likely I am to be disappointed or surprised...
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 1:37pm
Deena, if it makes you feel better blood sugar control is the hardest between 30-35 weeks, and then it is supposed to start getting better before the birth. For fasting sugars, I found that sleep makes the biggest difference for me. If I go to sleep early and sleep well, my numbers are lower. I've also hear a nighly walk helps fasting numbers along with a midnight glass of milk. You could try those things. Also, there is something called the Dawn effect, which means your sugar drops too low in the night and your body makes extra sugar to compensate for it- which makes your blood sugars high in the morning. Make sure you are eating enought carbs & protein for your bedtime snack. I need to eat at least 30 carbs and 10 g protein at night to keep my fasting numbers ok. Good luck & if you have more questions, ask because I have been researching the heck out of GD for the last few weeks & hope I can help someone :)
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-01-2011 - 6:15pm

I've been induced every time (four children)