38.5 week appt - blah!

iVillage Member
38.5 week appt - blah!
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 1:39pm

Appt was fine.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 2:42pm
I could have written this word for word. Not the Dr appointment, mine is thursday, but the rest. I am also having my 3rd and both were nice reasonable sizes and I had the dr point out that she thinks this one will be bigger, great thanks (blah). I am due the 10th, but would be happy for baby to come at any point between now and then. My others both came on their due date, so I am not holding out much hope for it though. I don't know if it is the third, my age (35), or a summer birth when I have things (camping, fishing, playing) that I want to be doing, but I am ready to be done. I know I will miss being pg, but I am done. I keep questioning myself if it is my overwhelming desire to know the gender, as this is the first time we have kept it a surprise, that is driving my desire for the big day.
Anyhow, wanted to let you know you are not alone, I totally know just what you mean.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-26-2011 - 2:59pm
I hear you...I'm a week behind you so have even further to go. This baby and belly are definitely bigger. My doctor says he is totally not worried about big babies, only small babies. My first was born at 39 weeks and 7lbs 11 oz. Not a huge baby, but not small. Her head was large and always measured in the 90% percentile. In her case, I did go into labor naturally but her head kept getting stuck against my pubic bone and would come out and retreat again. She ended up with a big bump (hematoma) on her head that didn't go away for months. So I'm not sure I really believe that nature naturally takes care of big babies. I am small-boned by nature, but my husband and his family and large and strong. I have a feeling that nature did not intend for me to marry him. I know it will be fine even if it means that I will need a little help getting the baby out, but I just want to meet her and be done with this pregnancy. I want my body back. Not because it was so hot before, but because this big belly really makes everything uncomfortable lying down, sitting, standing, you name it. I was really hoping she'd be a little earlier than her sister and make it to us in July, but as I approach my due date with not a single real contraction, I'm getting more resigned to the fact that I will not get my way.
 BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-27-2011 - 12:41am
My babies were both around 6 lbs ... considered small for full-term babies I guess, but I'm small, my family is small and while my DH is a big guy, he's an anomaly in his family because everyone else in his family is small. So genetically speaking, small isn't surprising.

@ Marita - I'm 36 ... soon to be 37, and while I don't that my age is a big factor in how I feel, it is a big factor in how this pregnancy went. From the genetic counseling very early on ... it just made me feel like I was things were so much more likely to go wrong. My ultrasounds have all looked good, but my bloodwork was not so great and they tell my the baby is at increased risk for Down Syndrome. But again, everything has looked good on all the scans (we've had 3 level II sonograms) and baby is measuring big - not small. Small is more common with babies that have chromosomal abnormalities.

@ lilymommy2b - did you have an epidural or did they let you get into a squatting position to deliver? The reclined on the back pushing is the big challenge in the US ... it's not really the ideal position for delivery. Simply squatting opens the pelvis by 2 cm. Certainly babies can be big and difficult to deliver regardless of how the labor goes (I have a friend who had a completely unmedicated delivery and she is absolutely a yoga expert and was in great shape throughout pregnancy ... and she had a true case of shoulder distosia with her 2nd dd, but the midwife was awesome and totally delivered the baby perfectly). I don't expect this baby to be that big ... bigger than my girls isn't saying much. But I'm not sure what the average baby weighs at birth, I only know that baby has been measuring about 55th percentile. I don't know what my girls measured, only that the sonographers always wanted to say I was a week further behind in my pregnancy, which I completely wasn't.

I've had ups and downs all day. I know it will all be fine. My oldest DD's birthday is this weekend, and I really don't want this baby to share a birthday with her (and neither does she). I think that's part of why I feel so blah ... I think I wanted to hear "any day now" as some sort of reassurance that I won't break my little girls heart by missing her birthday. And of course if it goes past 39 weeks, well then I'm just nervous about baby's size, particularly since this baby is already measuring bigger than my other 2.

I know it's all out of my control ... praying for peace.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-27-2011 - 4:49am
I know how you feel. I've kind of had in my mind when and how I'd go into labor. Now it doesn't seem to be going the way I planned, lol. I was checked today and not even dilated! I was sure I'd be 1 or 2cm by now like all my other pregnancies. This part of pregnancy sure requires lots of patience.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&