38.5 week appt - OB talks induction

iVillage Member
38.5 week appt - OB talks induction
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 10:05am

I posted some of this on the facebook group, but i know not everyone is on there so I'll share here too.

I had my 38.5 week appt yesterday afternoon. Everything looks good. I've been having weekly sonos since 35 weeks because of hypertension issues. They are keeping an eye specifically on amniotic fluid levels and blood flow through the umbilical chord... everything has looked perfectly normal so far.

The appointment was going normally, the ob checked my cervix and there was pretty much no change from last week (about 25% effaced, no dilation). Then she threw me for a total loop - she asked if the ob

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-15-2011 - 4:49am
It's easy to get discouraged feeling the baby will never come :) Enjoy your "down" time, rest up ....you'll be happy you did later on! You know it'll be soon! Can't wait to hear :)

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-13-2011 - 8:25pm
Thanks ladies! You all are always so supportive :-) I'm feeling pretty confident in saying no to the induction... But I'm also trying everything I can to go into labor before I have to tell the drs no, lol! It's been spicy food, lots of walking & dtd (much to dh's enjoyment). I'm actually really ready for her to be here & starting to go a little stir crazy since I purposefully didn't schedule much starting this weekend (yesterday was my "ideal" day to give birth... No such luck, lol). I'm definitely not anxious enough to schedule an induction for "just in case" reasons. Im so going with a midwife next time!
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-13-2011 - 8:05pm
ITA w/ everyone else. But also wanted to throw out that as you approach that 41 week timeframe (if you ultimately agree to the induction), you can try the many natural induction methods. I've not used them personally (other than sex) but have heard really great things about accupressure to stimulate labor. I'd consider this before agreeing to a pitocin induction.

HTH
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 12:21pm
You know your facts :) Don't let them scare you into an induction for no reason- if your BP is controlled and you're having u/s to monitor everything I think you definitely are right to hold off on inducing. You are just like the the millions of other first time moms with no medical problems that go past their due date and DR's don't seem to get that not everyone needs to be induced. I know how hard it is to keep saying no and fighting for what you want (I agreed to be induced at 39 weeks for diabetes) but if I had felt DS was smaller I would definitely have waited as long as possible. Trust your body and try not to worry about the timeline. We can only control so much in life :) I had to stop reading about labor & babies the last few weeks of my pregnancy just to keep my sanity! I highly recommend immersing yourself in a new book series or TV series or something to keep your mind relaxed the next few weeks :)

~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 12:17pm
Not that I'm an expert, but it sounds like they over-reacted to the high BP in the first place. One high reading at 20 weeks and you had to go to a cardiologist!!?? That seems like a big reaction to a one-time issue that could've been caused by you having a rough morning that day. I'm overweight too and have also had one higher-than-normal reading (not super high) and they shrugged it off, especially when it didn't happen again.

Sounds like you're dealing with a practice that is hyper-vigilant about preventing lawsuits.

I know how you feel about the timeline. I would just keep asking why you should induce when you haven't had any blood pressure issues other than the ONE incident. I would just keep reiterating that that them, I guess. How frustrating. Keep us posted.
baby
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-11-2011 - 11:59am

As long as you and the baby are OK, then I would say no to the induction...it would be a different story if you guys were at risk.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers