40w 4d appt - discouraged

iVillage Member
40w 4d appt - discouraged
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 11:44am

These weekly OB appts are no fun. I had mine yesterday, I'm still only 1 cm dilated - no real progress from last week. Which would be fine, except my stupid blood pressure spiked. I seriously thought the OB was going to send me to the hosptial straight from the appt to induce. I cried... she said they'd check it again because she knows how badly I don't want to be induced. Luckily when they checked it again at the end of the appt, it had come down enough that she felt comfortable sending me home with the promise that I would keep a very close eye on it at home.

It's beginning to seem like an induction is inevitable. I have one scheduled for the 31st, but was hoping to push it back if everything looked good. Unfortunately, I can't really push it back any further because I'll be 42 weeks next Saturday and they don't do inductions on weekends, plus because it's Labor Day weekend (ironic, right?) they can't schedule an induction on Monday. Which means the next available date would put me at 42+3 which is longer than the OB, and I quite frankly, are comfortable with. I know that the risks jump for everyone after 42 weeks and because of my borderline hypertension I'm more at risk.

I really don't want an induction, but I also obviously don't want to put myself or my baby at risk. I'm bummed that the all natural birth I've been preparing for and wanting so badly just may not happen. I'm still holding out a little hope that my bp will behave itself and I go into labor on my own sometime before I'm admitted for the induction on Tuesday night...

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 12:54pm
Remember the average fist time mom doesnt go into labor until 41 weeks 1 day ... you may still get your wish But I do have a friend (actually teaches Bradley classes) that was induced at 42 weeks with 2 of her 4 kids. She still had unmedicated births.

An induction doesnt mean failure.

Hang in there!
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 2:12pm
Why do you feel you can't have a natural birth with an induction? Just asking...

Although I did opt for the epidural this time (after being induced) I was ready to push as soon as the epidural was in and hindsight being 20/20 I know I could have done this unmedicated. Pitocin contractions are not so bad- at least they didn't bother me until my water broke (which was when I was in transition and went from 5-10 cm in a short time).

I know everyone says how terrible being induced is, but for me it wasn't the pain. It was just awkward being attached to the monitors and blood pressure cuff for so long. With my first I was only 1 cm and 25% effaced for the longest time. For my induction they started pitocin around 7 am, broke my water around 1 pm, got an epidural around 5 pm when I was only 5 cm, and started pushing around 8 pm, had DD at 9:43 pm. I went most of the day without the epidural and got out of bed frequently to walk around. If I would have known how quickly I would dilate from 5-10 I think I would have went without the epidural because the pain was not that horrendous.

You can do it! Remember that you can't control everything and don't lose sight of the big picture worrying about small details :) Babies will never follow your plan- not now and not when their much older. I know you can have a great birth experience and do it unmedicated no matter what :) Keep positive and trust your body! Even if you are induced... trust me- when your baby is born you will not care. My little guy is 5 weeks old tomorrow and I haven't thought about being induced at all (even though I really didn't want to be induced back then!).
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 2:52pm
I do plan on still trying to go unmedicated with the induction, it's just that the induction itself isnt natural. I really wanted to let my body go into labor when it is naturally ready & have that experience. I guess I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that I may not get to experience that. And I'm also concerned about the increased risk of further intervention that comes with induction, especially having a csection.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 4:08pm
Yeah, I hear you... I've had to be induced both times and I really wanted to go in labor on my own too. I know a little how you're feeling but you still have time :) Just plan something really special for this weekend and watch baby come, ha ha...
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 4:35pm
major labor vibes for you!!! I went into labor on labor day weekend with my 2nd. It would be nice if labor and babies didn't have to be so unpredictable huh. a healthy baby is most important :) maybe I'm wrong but just don't have them break your water until you are in 100% labor....once water broke, no going back.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 6:53pm
I'm sorry :-( How high was it, exactly? I was induced twice for gestational hypertension, but my bp responded VERY well to bedrest. As long as I was horizontal, my bp was actually very low.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-26-2011 - 11:53am

I understand how you feel. I also want my body to go into labor naturally. Today I am 40weeks 1 day. My doctor says if I do not go into labor by Tuesday (my next appt) we will induce on Wednesday or Thursday. I have the same feelings you do. I am scared more about the interventions that happen after pitocin...

Good luck to you and I hope your baby decides it's time to make an appearance soon, so you can focus on your new little one.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-27-2011 - 3:29am
Any labor action? I've been thinking that I bet your baby is here by now :)

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-27-2011 - 11:49am
Unfortunately not :-( I feel a lot if pressure & have bh contractions but nothing steady or consistent yet. It would be my luck that she'd decide to come sometime tonight though... That's when hurricane Irene is supposed to hit our area the hardest! I guess we'll see...
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-27-2011 - 11:54am
With my first I'd "picked" the date I knew she would be born. But when I got up on that day, I didn't feel like labor was imminent so decided I was wrong. And then she was born at 6 pm that evening afterall with just 5 hours of labor.

Don't be too discouraged. You really never know. And not feeling like labor is just around the corner means nothing.

Praying for the best for you...

Pages