40w 4d appt - discouraged

iVillage Member
40w 4d appt - discouraged
Thu, 08-25-2011 - 11:44am

These weekly OB appts are no fun. I had mine yesterday, I'm still only 1 cm dilated - no real progress from last week. Which would be fine, except my stupid blood pressure spiked. I seriously thought the OB was going to send me to the hosptial straight from the appt to induce. I cried... she said they'd check it again because she knows how badly I don't want to be induced. Luckily when they checked it again at the end of the appt, it had come down enough that she felt comfortable sending me home with the promise that I would keep a very close eye on it at home.

It's beginning to seem like an induction is inevitable. I have one scheduled for the 31st, but was hoping to push it back if everything looked good. Unfortunately, I can't really push it back any further because I'll be 42 weeks next Saturday and they don't do inductions on weekends, plus because it's Labor Day weekend (ironic, right?) they can't schedule an induction on Monday. Which means the next available date would put me at 42+3 which is longer than the OB, and I quite frankly, are comfortable with. I know that the risks jump for everyone after 42 weeks and because of my borderline hypertension I'm more at risk.

I really don't want an induction, but I also obviously don't want to put myself or my baby at risk. I'm bummed that the all natural birth I've been preparing for and wanting so badly just may not happen. I'm still holding out a little hope that my bp will behave itself and I go into labor on my own sometime before I'm admitted for the induction on Tuesday night...

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-27-2011 - 2:42pm
Good luck and stay safe with that big hurricane! lay down, relax and try that accupressure on your hand when you are having bh's, worked great for me. :)

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-27-2011 - 4:01pm
Oh, Stormi, if either of my births have taught me anything it is that as much as you can plan ans wish and hope, our babies and bodies often have other plans. Keep the faith, stay strong and firm and knkw that whatever happens you tried your best. Maybe you just have stubborn babies like me. My first started labor a just as I got up to go to mui.duction at 41 and 2. This labor started as I got up to go to my c-section at 41 and 5. Go figure! But remember as with all parenting we canonly do the best we can with the cards we're dealt. :) You'll be great and we'll be here for you. Hope you're safe in the storm!

Pages