Another trip to L&D

iVillage Member
Another trip to L&D
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 8:21pm

Ugh...I feel horrible going and bugging the people at L&D and I almost didn't even call. But I did because I had NO IDEA what was going on.

We went to the grocery store this am around 0930 and I literally had to stop walking a few times because it felt like she was going to fall out my vagina. Like I felt like she was going to fall out or I was going to pee all over the place. It actually was the same feeling I had right before my water broke last time...so I went home and just relaxed. Around 1230 I finally called the dr (after calling my mom to see if what i was feeling was normal). The new OB, who is nice but not my style, was on call and said "well do you think you need to come in?" haha...really??? I was like "Honestly, I have no idea. I was induced w/ my son and I have no idea what I'm feeling...I didn't even feel contractions w/ my son until my water broke." Her response to that was "well come in if you want to." I was tempted not to, but DH started freaking out. So I went in. NST showed I was having contractions, nothing steady or regular - the nurses kept saying something about "irritated" contractions. Not sure exactly what they meant, I could have asked but I was just eh. Then they checked me and I was SUPER soft, but closed and high. So after checking to see if the pressure I was feeling was from a UTI (came back neg) they sent me home. Told me to rest and keep pushing fluids and call the OB tomorrow. The new OB never showed up to pop her head in or anything....hell she saw me walk in and left. Whatever, she's not my favorite now by any means, but I'm kinda happy little miss has decided to cook a bit longer.

Maybe next time I won't go in...but I know the time I don't go in for something - something will actually happen and I'll be rushing. So 2 times in L&D in the last 3 weeks...1 false labor and 1 who knows what. Hopefully they don't put me on bedrest...having a super active 2 1/2 yr old is hard...Ok...those that got this far - thanks. I just had to get it out. I was kinda flustered. Still feel like a baby is gonna fall out my vag.

BabyFetus Ticker

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 10:54pm

Ugg...sorry you ended up there again: ( And I'm sorry the new OB is a poop-head (no, I couldn't think of anything more mature...lol!). I know the feeling, when you really don't want to go in to L&D but at the same time, you know you should to make sure everything's ok. I went in about 2 weeks ago because I slipped in the shower. I didn't fall on my tummy or anything, but I did a very awkward, painful version of the splits and almost immediately had back pain, groin pain, and my stomach got hard and stayed hard. So I ended up going in to be monitored but I felt completely stupid and like the nurses were looking at me like a total idiot (even though I know they weren't and my Dr. told me to go in). I just hate going to L&D when I'm NOT actually going to be having a baby if you know what I mean?!

Anyway, hope you are feeling better and that little one stays put until ready!!

~Crista~

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-31-2011 - 11:32pm

OMG, I freaking hate going to L&D...every time I go is because I just can't take the pain or the contrax any longer and DH convinces me that it's for the best...I had to go in on Wed of last week because of pain, so I called my OB to ask her if I could take some pain meds and see her the next morning...she told me I had to go to L&D...

The nurses and the resident treat me like I'm a freaking moron.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-01-2011 - 3:58am
Glad you feel better....keep cooking that baby :) I hate that feeling of the extreme pressure feeling like the baby is going to fall out of my vagina, lol.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 8:00am

I am totally with you on this.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-02-2011 - 7:31pm
I had a lot of cervical pressure this time around - the falling out feeling. It can be fairly normal. I also had some sharp pains this time around and my midwife and I both think it's the baby hitting the cervix. It really is a bit startling.

While it's not textbook for everyone (my first two certainly weren't), the 5-1-1 rule really is a good guide ... ctrx lasting 1 min each, 5 min a part for one hour ... is a good time to go into labor and delivery.

With previous two my ctrx were never 5 min a part ... they were all much closer from the beginning and I just sensed it was time to go in because of the way I felt. It's hard to quantify, but you just sort of "know" because of the seriousness of the way you feel vs the earlier contractions, which can still be painful and come with lots of pressure, but it's just a different level of seriousness.

This time around I did have the 5-1-1 rule experience, but I didn't actually feel it was that urgent to get to the hospital. But because my last two labors were less than 6 hours long and I'd been cautioned this one could be different (longer or shorter), we decided to head in anyway. I was 5 - 6 cm dilated when they checked me. Ctrx were intense when I had them but actually began slowing down some when I got there (although some were 3 min long even on the monitor). I decided to walk for a while (all L& D rooms were full so I was in triage) and after an hour I was at 7 cm. I finally got to L&D at 8 1/2 -9 cm and ctrx definitely felt serious at that point ... about when I would have felt like going in to the hosptial. Labor was 11 hours this time around though.

I know it sounds silly but you really will likely just "know"

HTH