Anybody good at reading sonograms?

iVillage Member
Anybody good at reading sonograms?
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 9:43pm

Attached is our sonogram photo of baby's gender ... but there might be some question.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 9:58pm

I don't know if it's just me...I've had 3 boys and it looks like a boy to me.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-18-2011 - 11:40pm

Looks like a boy to me too.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 12:07am
Looks like a boy to me as well. Did they tell you a girl?
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 1:23am
Sonographer did say "girl" and even wrote on the sonogram image "all girl!!!"

But everything I'd read was "3 lines or 3 parallel dots = girl". There's not a lot of info I can find about 3 dots in a triangular pattern. Some places do say "boy".

I have two little girls, but we have never found out the gender before so I have no photos of their gender parts with which to compare. We decided to find out this time so that DH could "prepare" if it's another girl - basically, if he was going to feel disappointed, he didn't want to feel that way on birth day. Fortunately, neither of us feel too terribly disappointed about the news of at 3rd girl - maybe a little "disappointed" but I've always said 3 sisters would be such a special experience for them. At any rate, I certainly didn't feel sad.

But almost immediately, I thought, "I'm not sure she's right". I wish I'd questioned her about it, but at the time, I just kept saying, "she's the expert". But when I got home and started looking at other images online and showing the photos to others, I have to say my photo doesn't scream "girl", at least IMO.

In the end it doesn't matter. My DH doesn't seem particularly interested in doing another sonogram to find out for sure ... he says if it is a boy, it will be a big surprise. But I feel like if I made the decision to find out this time, I want to have a sense of certainty. DH says, I should have it, and that i have no reason to doubt the sonographer, which I guess is true. Except that I just think she might be wrong, which doesn't make me comfortable with setting my nursery up in advance for a little girl! And yet, I feel silly to not set up my nursery in advance just because I don't believe the sonographer (with DD #1 set nursery up in advance very gender neutral but then changed everything to girl stuff around 6 mos when my mom asked if she could have my cream colored baby bedding for the nursery she set up for all grandkids in her house - she helped buy the girl stuff to replace it. Then w/ DD#2, I just didn't decorate the nursery until after she was born ... which I could do again with this baby, but then what was the point in finding out!!).

Sorry to ramble and vent. I'm just so perplexed ...

Thanks ladies for your thoughts.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 2:20am

That's a meat and two veg if I ever saw one.

baby
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 11:07am
That is a hard one. But if it were me, I would go get another one, a 3d like you are thinking. I don't see a "girl" there...
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 11:37am

Can you take that pic to your OB and ask him/her?

Cherie ~ Mommy to 2 wonderful girls. Harper 7/06. Georgia 2/09
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 2:30pm
That is a boy!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 2:33pm
This is my u/s pic with my DS1...looks VERY similar to yours, IMO http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o93/jcopel10/Boy2-1.jpg
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-19-2011 - 2:44pm

That definitely looks like a boy to me! In the words of my nephew, I see a beanbag! :) Might be worth getting a 3D ultrasound. I was kind of hesitant when just looking at a traditional ultrasound, but when they moved it to 3D, I definitely saw boy! I posted that pic. :)

Lilypie - Personal picture

Pages