Cardiology appointment today

iVillage Member
Cardiology appointment today
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 8:28pm

Hey ladies. I had my first cardiology appointment today (for any who don't know or remember, my bp was high at my last ob visit so my dr wanted me to see a cardiologist). The appointment went ok, my bp was high again (133/88) the cardiologist said that the bottom number in particular was high and that because of it they are going to start treating me for pregnancy induced hypertension. So far this means I have to start a low dose bp medicine, take my bp every day, and make sure i get 30-60 mins of exersize

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-14-2011 - 10:00pm
I'm glad the appt went well! I had PIH in late pregnancy last time. I was put on modified bedrest (allowed to get up to eat, bathe, use the bathroom) and then induced at 39 weeks. Being on bedrest for almost a month was not ideal, but my body responded very well to it. TG I never developed pre-e! I hope you don't either. GL!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 10:45am
Particularly given your stage of pregnancy, I think it might make sense for treatment. But 88 on the bottom is not THAT high. Until recently it wasn't considered high unless the bottom number 90 or above (for blood pressure issues in general). The considered it pre-hypertension when the bottom number was between 80 and 90. Some docs STILL practice that way. Others agree with more recent studies that suggest damage can be done even at lower blood pressures so they want to treat earlier.

With pregnancy induced hypertension, it might make sense to begin treatment because they only cure is delivery of the baby, which you obviously can't do until after 24 weeks ... and the longer you wait thereafter the better.

I would still encourage you to check out the Brewers diet if you haven't done so already. Make sure you're eating abundant protein ... reduce your salt intake and drink plenty of water (distilled water is better).

Good luck.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-15-2011 - 12:10pm
thanks for the support and advice ladies, it helps.

i have actually been reading up on the brewer diet and plan to ask my drs about it. interestingly enough the the brewer diet explicitly states that you should NOT reduce your salt intake as it can actually be harmful to get too little salt in your diet during pregnancy (even my cardiologist said that reducing salt intake during pregnancy has no effect on your blood pressure, but that i will probably need to start a low sodium diet after i give birth). what i've read about the diet so far seems to make sense, so if my dr isn't totally opposed, i'll probably try it.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-16-2011 - 12:44am
You're absolutely correct that a low sodium diet is not a great idea while pregnant, but I think a lot of people in the US (at least in my family) seem to use an unbelievable amount of salt ... they salt EVERYTHING!!!! Hamburgers, pizza, watermelon, grapefruit, etc. And I think in pregnancy, while I wouldn't adopt a low sodium diet, I'd probably not add extra salt to anything ... just what is in the recipe, etc.

Glad you're looking into it. A lot of docs don't believe the diet is beneficial. But there is pretty good evidence to the contrary. And even more importantly, even if you think it doesn't have any positive effects, I've never read any negative effects. So I figure it can't hurt to give it a try.

Good luck!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-17-2011 - 7:05am

watermelon?? Are you serious??