Cried when getting my blood drawn!

iVillage Member
Cried when getting my blood drawn!
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 11:03am

So I am a big baby when it comes to needles. At my DR. appt yesterday, I wasn't even supposed to have my blood drawn, but the nurse said they needed to redo a lab since one of my last ones got messed up. It hurt and I could feel the needle wiggling down in there and when it was finally done I burst into tears. I don't know if it really hurt that bad or the nurse just isn't good at drawing my blood.

Do you guys have any tips for making it less painful. I have to get my blood drawn at my NEXT appt too! :(

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 11:11am

Drink lots, LOTS of water the day before and day of. That helps the veins be easier to access. When they put the band on your arm open and close your fist quickly and strongly.

Good luck!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 12:09pm
Thank you! I will do that!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 1:41pm
My friend is also terrified of getting her blood drawn.. but she was told to request the butterfly needle, its apparently alot smaller and now she doesn't even feel it!! Maybe that could help you too...

Marsha 

mommy to Rylee Elizabeth 4/12/2005 

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 2:27pm

I get my blood drawn so often, you would think that it wouldn't bother me...but it still does! I always make sure I'm not looking and I talk to whoever is drawing it just to keep my focus on something else. I have really awesome veins (so I've been told) and it hardly ever hurts so that helps.

I agree with the PP...make sure you are well hydrated:):)

BabyFetus Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-02-2011 - 4:13pm
the previous poster has some excellent tips! I just look away and try to think of anything random. I did have one time where the lady used a different vein than my usual one to draw from, and it hurt really bad. Maybe you can try finding a better vein on your arm or the other arm. Make sure they search for a good vein. NOW getting an IV when giving birth....that's a different story for me. I almost think the IV is one of the worst parts of the birthing experience, lol.

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-03-2011 - 10:05am
I have a friend who just had her first prenatal appointment. She went to get her blood drawn and she threw up and almost fainted. I'm going to use some of these suggestions for her. My only advice is this-if the phelbotomist is making a massacre of your arm, ask him/her to please go find someone else. There are good ones and there are bad ones. I only have one good vein, and one of the bad ones caused it to form some nasty scar tissue when she kept trying and trying. There is no reason to just sit there and put up with it if there is another option. Just be firm and polite.

FYI-I had a drug-free birth and did not have to have an I.V.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-03-2011 - 11:58am

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. This is making me feel more confident about my next appointment!

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-04-2011 - 7:16pm
I'm not afraid of needles but I don't like the IV because it's there for so long and I'm afraid of yanking it out. When I gave birth to DS the first nurse blew two veins in my arms, then an older nurse came in and got a vein near my wrist. I thought it was going to hurt but it didn't and it was the perfect location because I never felt it. I'm going to ask for them to use the same spot this time.
baby