First Midwife Appointment!

iVillage Member
First Midwife Appointment!
Tue, 02-15-2011 - 2:55pm

I had my first appointment with the midwife today, and it was really fun to see what the differences are. There are no vaginal exams until much later in the pregnancy and the appointment was very chatty and fun. It lasted for two hours! I got a parking ticket! I really enjoyed the atmosphere, and I was given all of my CPM's stats about transfer and complications. She is very competent and friendly. I really feel comfortable with her. There was only one weird thing that happened. I'm measuring big. She said my uterus felt much bigger than where I'm supposed to be, and that if I had not already had an ultrasound, she would have sent me for one ASAP to check dates or for the presence of twins. I know that it sounds totally crazy, but I googled it, and apparently sometimes twins are not seen on an ultrasound and then are seen later. Now I'm nervous and I wish I had an ultrasound today, just to check. I have been feeling really big already, and I had much more morning sickness than I did with my son. But I also feel like I'm totally crazy to even

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-15-2011 - 9:45pm

Twins would be a surprise! Glad your appt went really well. I love how midwives are chatty - I never feel rushed or unimportant or anything, and I really appreciate the time she takes to make sure I am comfortable and all my questions are answered. How long ago was your u/s?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-16-2011 - 6:00am
great news on your appointment....she sounds like a great fit! I've had midwives all but one of my pg's, and that was because there were no midwives in the area we lived in at the time. Thankfully you'll know soon at your main u/s if there is still just one baby in there or not :)

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-16-2011 - 9:25am
My last u/s was at 10 weeks. The baby was measuring 10w3d. I'm starting to get really nervous that something is wrong. I know with absolute certainty that I cannot be farther along than 15 weeks because my hcg levels were tested to make sure they were back down to normal after my last miscarriage, and then I got my positive pregnancy test less than two weeks later, and had my hcg levels tested again. There really isn't any room for error there. I hope this couldn't mean anything bad, but I'm going to call my midwife today and see if we can schedule the u/s within the next 2-4 weeks.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-16-2011 - 10:00am
Congrats on your appt and feeling extra comfortable with you midwife. Please don't get nervous you little bean may just be a little bigger.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-16-2011 - 11:22am
I love midwife appointments, too. We're having a homebirth with a CNM. Our first wasn't 2 hours (I'm not that chatty!), but it was almost an hour and I certainly could have stayed longer. Meeting her backup was not so pleasant, because the appointment time got messed up, I ended up waiting way too long, and DH had to leave before I got to see her. Oh well, I have another appointment in a week, and hopefully it will go better. With DD2, we had a hospital-based CNM, and even then they scheduled at least half an hour with the midwife for the first appointment. Try not to worry about measuring big, I'm sure the midwife will keep an eye on it. My mother measured huge with all her pregnancies, and everything was fine. She just had lots of fluid, but it never caused any problems.
iVillage Member
Wed, 02-16-2011 - 12:48pm

Glad you had a good appt.

I never had an internal with my MW until I was in labor & asked for an epi after awhile. Too bad it was too late!

I saw your post on twins board. Not sure what to say as I have not been measured yet. I know a bunch of ppl that did not find out about twins until anat scan u/s. I guess they can hide & there are ppl who didn't know until they gave birth though I dont get that.

An u/s isnt really going to do anything for you other than reconfirm what you just saw. Its possible I guess but there really is not harm until waiting til ant scan either. Depending upon type of twins they dont start extra monitoring until around that time anyway.

*mindy*