Frustrated with my OB at 30 week app.

iVillage Member
Frustrated with my OB at 30 week app.
Tue, 05-17-2011 - 3:18pm

I had my first non-stress test today and while baby looks good, he's measuring 4 lbs (91%) and I'm measuring more at 32 weeks.

~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-17-2011 - 10:06pm
That's crazy they said wouldn't let you deliver a 9lb baby. My last baby was 8lb 11oz and I'm petite...no problems. I"m sorry about your diet you have to be on. I would be just as frustrated as you. About having more kids, you may not having gestational diabetes next pg. WE can make it through these tough pgs :) Hurry up July/August!

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-17-2011 - 10:12pm
You are the patient and they can't make you do anything ... I seem to recall you may be dealing with military docs (which I know leaves you very little flexibility). But if you're not, I'd simply find a new doc.

I know depending on what base you're located at ... if you choose to see a midwife instead of an OB you can see the same person each time, whereas you get whatever OB is on duty. Maybe you could change to a midwife?

If not, and it is what it is ... figure out how to file a complaint against your OB. And do your research ... show them stats on how frequently baby measurements are WRONG (mine were both estimated to be 8ish lbs ... the biggest of the 2 was 6 lbs 2 oz , so clearly they were OFF a bit). Risks of early induction and c-section, etc. And I'd put in writing the details of your last birth ... 8 lbs 12 oz is pretty similar to 9 lbs.

Good luck and sorry you're having to deal with this.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-18-2011 - 8:51am
Thanks, ladies! I needed your pep talks :) I am seeing a military OB, and the midwives won't see me because I'm high risk due to the GD. I don't think I can switch this late because i don't think I could find an OB that would accept me around here.
But I will do my research & refuse all things I'm not comfortable with. When I'm not pregnant I'm so level headed and able to speak clearly... but this pregnancy leaves me in tears every time I'm frustrated which totally ruins my "tough" factor lol.
I fully expected to have a 9 lb baby this time. My DD was big and my mom had big babies. (I'm the shortest in my family at 5'8"). These docs just treat us like cattle being herded through the birthing room... it is so impersonal. Ok, thanks again for letting me vent!
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-18-2011 - 11:08am
Good job working so hard to stick to your diet!

First off an ultrasound measurement can be off by +/- 2 pounds at the end of pregnancy. To suggest an induction and/or C-section based solely upon that is absolutely crazy. 9 pound babies are totally deliverable! My grandmother pushed out 6 of them! Inductions and C-sections are dangerous things and not to be taken lightly. Stick to your guts. If you can switch to a midwife, I recommend it. I did. I think OBs, especially men, are quick to suggest interventions that aren't 100% necessary.