Weird 36.5 week appt

iVillage Member
Weird 36.5 week appt
Tue, 07-12-2011 - 8:46pm

I *think* everything's ok ... but it was a weird appt.

I was scheduled for my Group B Strep today, but they handed me the swab with instructions and asked me to do it myself in the bathroom.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 7:24pm
I also have an anterior placenta (it's sort of on top and in front ... which is why they think I might be feeling less movement these days. I'm simply not feeling the smaller, squirmier movements at the top of my uterus because there's a big cushion there).

This is my 3rd baby ... and until today, I've never felt my baby hiccup, at least not definitively. But I did feel definite hiccups today. I actually think baby is basically head down but with head more toward my hip than my cervix so feet under my left ribs. This isn't too terribly concerning, as it's not that far to move him / her if necessary. And I've felt some other movements that would seem more like babies feet were then kicking straight up. I know baby still rolls from left to right sometimes, so hopefully as i get a bit closer to delivery, he / she will assume the perfect position. In the meantime, doing my pelvic tilts and downward dog yoga pose.

As far as the heart beat concerns, I'm sure I'm being hormonal (I can't remember what brought tears to my eyes today, but I remember thinking ... seriously?!!?). If there had been great cause for concern, I'm sure the midwife would have said something. She clearly struggled to get a good reading ... someone mentioned a heartbeat from the placenta, which I'd think was possible. It was different than my other experiences, but I see my regular midwife next Wednesday, and if I get really concerned I can always call. I'm just going to try to do kick counts 3X / day to keep myself reassured.

Thanks ladies. All of you have made me feel much more comfortable with my appointment yesterday.

On a different note, I googled the self GBS test ... and found the abstract of the research report that shows women are essentially as good at swabbing themselves as are the doctors. My SIL did swab herself and she was GBS + ... so if you get in the area, I guess you're pretty ok with your test.

I was just thinking about growing cultures in a lab ... if you don't swab just right, your streak will die before growing properly. But I guess they really just want to see if they get any GBS growth at all. I guess they're not really concerned with quantifying the number of bacteria. It just surprised me since I'd never been asked to do it myself before.

Thanks again everyone! Breathing easier today :-)
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 12:25pm

It's funny, but I have never paid too much attention to where the doppler is positioned when they get the readings, but the OB almost always places it on the upper half of my belly and aims downwards at various angles.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 11:06am

It may be the the baby was positioned with spine to your back making it very hard to get a true HEART beat.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 10:35am
I have non-stress tests & ultrasounds every week (since I was 28 weeks) and they always find the heart rate in my upper right quad and he is always head down :). I know I have an anterior placenta that is close to my belly button and that can make the heart beat sound loudest in a different spot. I think your little one is probably head down (especially this late I think we would feel it if he moved on us). Also, I've had 4 different people do my non-stress tests and it is amazing at the differences they come up with. Know it's way easier said than done- but don't stress over this- you sound totally normal to me and I've been spending way too much time in the NST/Ultrasound place the past three months.

Also, from reading a different post- I haven't peed in a cup yet either :) I think I remember reading that new research came out that showed this practice to be a waste of money.

I always am comforted when my little guy gets the hiccups and I can clearly feel his head low and his feet high :) Maybe yours will get the hiccups for you so you can be reassured also, lol!
~Andrea~ IMG_1563
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 3:57am
I had my 36 week and gbs today too. The midwife did my gbs test though...almost wish I could have done it. It was so uncomfortable laying down on the table for the test. I have been so worried about this baby not being head down. u/s confirmed she is head down and they get the doppler heartbeat up pretty high on my stomach. I wouldn't worry too much (easier said than done)
I'm glad we have weekly appointments now to re-check this stuff out :)

luvmy4kids Made with My Cool Signs.Net

&

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 12:33am
I'm hoping that by next Wednesday, baby's heart will be found in an expected location again. But if it's still strange, I'll probably ask them to do a sonogram. Because I'm now flagged as high risk all my sonograms have been done in the diagnostic center, but the midwives can do an "unofficial" sonogram. I'm thinking maybe they could at least confirm baby is head down for me ... would make me feel so much better!!

I do know that on the off chance that baby has flipped, I will absolutely try an ECV before agreeing to c-section (as well as chiropractic treatment, etc. ... anything I can think of. I've been doing lots of pelivc tilts and downward dog tonight!). Since baby has been head down, I know that increases my chance an ECV would be successful. But I would really just like to not have to worry about it.

Thanks for the encouraging words.
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-13-2011 - 12:30am
This makes me feel better. I can't feel baby's head in my pelvis (well it feels like it internally because sometimes it's hard to walk ... but I can't feel it from the outside). But I keep grabbing the body parts that are moving around at the top, and i tell you there's no way it's a head ... clearly a leg or something. To hear I'm not the only one where the heartbeat was found in an unexpected location is at least encouraging.

This baby is just determined to stress me out!!!!
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-12-2011 - 10:39pm
I just had my Strep B done today as well and they had me do my own also. I'm also seeing midwives. I agree with noctup, try not to worry and if the heartbeat is hard to find or in a "weird" spot then mention it to them again.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-12-2011 - 10:21pm

I know it's easier said than done, but I would try not to worry.

baby