Add me to the failed the one hour list!

iVillage Member
Add me to the failed the one hour list!
Sat, 10-01-2011 - 11:17pm
Ended up with sugars at 174. Problem is, I knew I'd fail. Mom is insulin dependent diabetic and I don't process sugar quickly due to eating basically a diabetic diet my whole life. If you rarely have sugar you can't be expected to process a massive overdose of it quickly. Now they want to have me do the three hour, which there's no way I'll pass, as it's double the sugar. So I don't know what to do at this point. It's utterly useless for me to go do the three hour and get stuck 4 times when I know I won't pass the test- that much sugar is just far too much of a shock to a system that already processes sugar slowly. Any thoughts?

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 12:39am

I've heard of some doctors allowing patients to track their sugar levels for a week or so and then have the doctor look over the log.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 1:49am
My doctor considered doing a fasting glucose test for me. That and because of my PCOS meds doing an HgA1c which measures sugar levels over 3 months. Are those options?

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-02-2011 - 10:31am

Sorry to hear that, that must be annoying, hope the doctor figures something out for u....

KELLY THANKS FOR THE BEAUTIFUL SIG
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-03-2011 - 2:04pm
kungfumanda wrote:

I've heard of some doctors allowing patients to track their sugar levels for a week or so and then have the doctor look over the log.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 10:19am
Here's the update! I asked to track my sugars and explained the whole "mom's diabetic so I never get sugar, therefore my body has no clue how to process it when given large amounts" thing. Doc completely agreed that for me the test would be flawed. So I now have a glucometer, have to test 4x daily: morning and two hours after each meal. I'll do that for two weeks, with a phone call at the end of week one to see how my numbers are. MUCH happier with this. When I asked my mom if she thought I'd pass the three hour, her response was "no way, you just won't. You eat like a diabetic when you aren't one so you'll react similarly". She's happy with the solution too, and I really really respect her opinion on it, almost more than the doc's, if I'm being honest, as she's been very well controlled insulin dependent since she was seven.
Although I will admit to being a bit disturbed at how easy it is for me to do the testing etc. I'm so used to it after years of watching mom, I have the routine down. lol My hubby's going, um.,, you shouldn't adjust to this so easily,,,
Thank you so much for your support and suggestions ladies!
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 4:39pm
I'm glad you get to try this! My Dr's office is now thinking they won't be retesting me and will be treating me as diabetic. Looks like I better get comfy with pokes.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-04-2011 - 6:00pm
do you have to get a glucometer?
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 10:45am
I'll find out Friday but it sounds like it.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 11:35am
Get the OneTouch ultramini if you can. Mine came with the Delica lancets and you dont even feel them if you do the testing routine right! :) My mom comes in town today and is excited to try my glucometer after all I've told her lol. She's used OneTouch for years but the UltraMini is brand new.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-05-2011 - 12:46pm
Thanks for the tip. I'm not at all excited to try it-lol!
Photobucket

Pages