Liliana Harper's Birth Story

iVillage Member
Liliana Harper's Birth Story
Wed, 02-15-2012 - 2:21pm

Out of five birth experiences, Lily's was the most interesting, by far. I've had 3 c-sections and two vaginal births, Lily being my second vaginal. I was 7 days overdue with Lily when my water finally decided to break. I had wanted a home birth but because of my previous c-sections and history of early labor, I had to use the hospital's birthing center, but had a doula and went natural with the whole process, with DH and my amazing doula, Nina's help. My water broke at 7:30 a.m, while getting my oldest ones fed, dressed and ready for the day. I kind of had a hunch the previous evening that I was going to go simply because I felt off. Not bad, just different. I asked DH to stay home in the morning just to see how I was feeling. I was so glad he did! I finished getting the kids ready for school/my bestie's house (my oldest is in public school this year, the other two are homeschooled) and then called her to come get them all. I was feeling minor cramping at home, but no "real" contractions yet, so I called Nina and decided to head to the hospital. When I got to the hospital around 9:30, I was starting to feel the pain. Nina got there just after we did and we got into our birthing suite. Because my doc knew my birthing plan, no one tried to do any medical intervention and they were great about just coming in to see if I needed water or anything else and then quietly left. After using a birthing ball, getting into and out of the shower/tub several times, I finally decided to just walk. Dax, Nina, and I walked the halls of the hospital for several hours, bracing for contractions and breathing through them. At around 2:15, I decided I wanted a hot bath. I hadn't been checked for dilation (at my request) and didn't think I was getting too close, I just wanted the relaxation of the warm water. Pretty much as soon as I sat down, I started feeling pressure. At first it felt like the pressure to push, then it turned into PAIN! I screamed for Nina to get the nurse or doctor, and the nurse came running. It felt like the baby was trying to push her way out of my former c-section incisions and it hurt! I felt like I was ripping everywhere. After the "once over" from the nurse and Nina, I was reassured that I was okay, but was fully dilated and it was time to push.

I tried several times to push in the tub, but I had a "lip" on my cervix that wasn't letting it happen. I'd push and she'd come down, but then go back up as soon as I stopped. It was so frustrating and SO painful! After what seemed like forever (in reality, only 20-ish minutes), they wanted me in bed to do the pushing because they thought it might help. By this time, I was ready to lie down. I stood up to get out of the bath and immediately felt like she was coming. Now. I squatted right there in the tub, gave one big push, and out she came. I sank down into the tub (with both exhaustion and extreme relief) and just held her, cord still attached, to my chest. We didn't know the gender beforehand, so I got to check and was ELATED to find out I had my baby girl. We waited several minutes before we cut the cord, then she was taken by the nurse.

Right about now, the doctor came in ("Well, I guess I'm not needed here! Haha!" was his comment, lol) and helped get me to the bed for all the "other stuff". Really, everything after she came out was a blur. I was so euphoric and thrilled to have a daughter that I didn't think anyone existed but her and me. I kept my eyes on her the whole time they were cleaning her up and getting Apgar scores and when they wrapped her up and handed her to me, I just couldn't believe it. She was so pink and perfect and crying this adorable little cry. I wept, of course. She was ready to nurse, so I got to nurse her and she latched immediately. Here she was, my beautiful little Lily. Long awaited daughter. It was love at first site. She weighed 7 lbs. 1 oz., 21 inches long and made her entrance at 2:52 p.m. on December 14, 2011.

My integrity hasbeen questioned and I've been accused of lying. I shouldn't have shared so much of myself online, I just got too excited. This is goodbye.
*Charlotte

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 3:48pm

Awe congratulations on your baby girl!

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 4:46pm
great story! thanks for sharing it!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 7:26pm

With my oldest, I didn't really care as long as he was healthy. After losing twins and a couple miscarriages, I was just so happy to have him. A year after having him, I was pregnant again and that one didn't stick either, so when I got pregnant with Kennedy, I again was so thrilled to have him, but did secretly want a girl. We didn't find out the gender with any after Ayden, so I got to be surprised each time and you just can't be disappointed when you meet your child. When Kennedy was 6 months old, I found out I was pregnant again and this time I was REALLY hoping for a girl. When Paeton came out, I knew that he was a boy before I even saw the parts. Just mother's intuition, I guess. Since Kennedy and Payton are so close in age, I am actually glad now that they are boys. They are best friends. We started really trying again when Paeton was one, but I had a lot of difficulty conceiving this time around. I was really starting to think that Paeton would be it. I know how truly blessed I am, so I didn't want to go through the fertility treatments and just figured that I'd be happy forever with my 3 boys. We've not really been trying or preventing pregnancy since Paeton was 3, but about a year later I found out I was pregnant again. Since it was SO unexpected, I said over and over if I was blessed with four boys, I would never be disappointed. It's so strange having a girl, but also so amazing. I don't know if I have any more babies in my future, but I would love to have at least one more girl so Lily isn't the only little girl around the house. Nevertheless, I am blessed with what I've got. :) :heart: And I guess another son wouldn't be so bad after all.

Geez, what a novel! Clearly I have nothing better to do with my time than sit here and type my life's story! lol

My integrity hasbeen questioned and I've been accused of lying. I shouldn't have shared so much of myself online, I just got too excited. This is goodbye.
*Charlotte

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-16-2012 - 8:17pm

Thanks for sharing your story!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2012 - 8:45pm
Aww what a beautiful story. Yay for your little girl!
(PS I too had a lip to my cervix but my story did NOT go as nicely as yours. I wish I had though! Lol)

Dixie

"Even miracles take a little time." ~ Fairy Godmother: Cinderella

TTC since April 2009